Monday, November 19, 2012

Peacefulness is Here

I did not grow up in a family that listened to music, either at home or on the radio.  I never heard my father or mother sing that I can remember.  I could not sing with a bucket over my head and my flute playing in junior high school was a struggle for us all.  But I was able after my children were grown and moving out of their teen years to listen to music on the radio that was not just popular or contemporary stuff.  I was able to focus on what certain types of  music did for me during my pauses in busy work days.

With no more college bills and reduced food bills at that time I was able to peruse music shops and buy a number of CDs from all genres.  Classical, broadway, international, jazz, folk and even some popular artists.  I today am listening to something called African Tapestries and it is filled with percussion that mimics the sounds of a lion, drum beats from some village, a flute that calls like the tropical birds and the sound of rain now and again.  It is as if I am sitting in some rainforest bamboo hut waiting for the storm to pass.  I have not converted these CD's to digital and may never spend the money to do that.  I also purchased an expensive sound system at the same time and have wallowed in this delightful decadence for years.

Regarding my prior political post, it was not removed because I felt I cannot speak my mind on issues.  I feel strongly about my liberal social values and my more moderate to conservative fiscal values as well.  You can ask any of my relatives and they will tell you I am no wallflower when it comes to controversy.  I am willing to listen to their side, and they must listen to mine.  But this blog was not created as a forum for that, so I try to keep away from going down that road.  My conservative readers are moderates, I really think, and do not need my lecturing.  My liberal readers will only agree with me in spades.  My moderate middle-of-the road readers can find their way better through factual research than my specific arguments.  So do not feel that I removed it out of fear of making someone angry, only out of realization that the conversation tends to be more one-sided in blogdom.  I do worry about those who think that politics U.S. is too far gone for their voice anymore.  Every citizen that throws in the towel is more dangerous than they know.

15 comments:

  1. Ah - glad to know you weren't apologizing for what you were thinking or what you said.

    My musical tastes have not changed in years - they're still as eclectic as they ever were :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I did hear my mother and father singing when I was growing up. It brought tears to my eyes and caused the dog to howl. I do have music that I enjoy, but on the whole I think my music appreciation is uite stunted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go with silence in my house most of the time. I enjoy music but like now with heavy rain and wind outside, I like hearing what's going on out there more. This is a dark storm.

    On the politics, I write about them and don't but well understand how you feel. I hoped we could discuss issues now in our country with the election for now behind us; but it looks like partisanship is determined to block any serious action on any issue. Who gains with that? I wish we could sit back now but fear we cannot :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a young child, we always had the radio playing, or I was playing the piano. As a teen, the local radio DJ's got my ears every day. Until I was about 60, I always had on the radio, a tape or CD, or the TV. But as I get older, silence is more important to me. I have many LPs, tapes and CD's, but they seldom get played anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our house had music, and we played instruments, and all of my kids played at least for a while.

    We listen to so many different types, and the African sounds very intriguing.

    As for politics, i'm more than willing to discuss it with anyone who will, at the end, be civil and agree to disagree if we happen to differ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up in a non-musical household, and proceeded to marry into an extremely musical family. I figure it's ok to be a listener. Do you still have your flute? Because I still have mine from high school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were addicted to the radio in our house. When mysteries, or variety shows weren't on the music was. Listening was one of my parents favorite things to do. As little kids my sister and I whirled around the living room to The Saber Dance and pretended to be Helen O'Connell belting out "Green Eyes." However we grew up without ever learning an instrument or singing in choir but we sure had a good time. Still do at times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We never sang much in our house growing up. No Chatterbox can carry a tune; it's a sad fact.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not much music in my house as I grew up but I made up for it as a teen and falling in love with The Beatles and Classical music. What a combo!!
    Ha
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  10. My music selections are much like yours. Our house was one of lots of music of all kinds and my maternal grandparents loved classical music. My paternal grandparents always had the radio tuned to country. My personal efforts in the area of attempting to become a musician ended up in my voice teacher suggesting I take up another project and my piano teacher suggesting the same. My saxophone teacher stayed with me but not with much enthusiasm. However my dad always said "It's about making a joyful noise" and I could definitely do that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being one of those liberal friends, I agree with you. I used to sing in the choir when I was growing up, and then in the 60's I played the guitar and bass with friends in a folk group. Now nothing....not even CD's as I have tinnitus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There may not be another chance in the next few days to stop by . . . You are counted in my list of gratitude's on Thursday . . .Happy Thanksgiving weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad I got to read the post before it went down. I agreed with your opinions but the honest expression was most impressive. I found your apology unnecessary but can appreciate your reasoning here.

    I'm grateful to have grown up in a musical family and it is a very big part of my life now. I sing and play everyday, learn new songs regularly. I hope it's keeping my brain elastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Music was a bug in my ear very young. My mother sang n played piano. I was in school musicals n learned guitar before Junior High. I always loved Beatles music, since I was 3. I still write songs. Play other strings also now.
    My daughter played woodwinds with the county Symphony for years after attending Berkeley college of Music. The other learned Percussion. Both were in Marching band in school.

    Your sound-effect music n system sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry you felt the need to remove your political view post, but we do enjoy the privilege of making the content we put on our blogs only what we choose to share. I've been impressed that most Elderbloggers have been civil in their disagreements, though I've also clearly stated I prefer steering clear of name-calling and believe labeling can be very mis-leading, too.

    Music is deeply embedded in my soul. Dancing, piano lessons, occasional attendance at orchestral peformances, movie musicals, radio musical programs, and later some on TV were a significant part of my childhood. I finally was able to purchase my first record player when in my twenties, after college graduation and I was a few years into my first job. I can't imagine life without music, but the rhythms of life keep music in my heart and head.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.