Friday, May 31, 2013

The Burial




Such a hot day to revisit the old barn.  The door is loose and swings open almost by itself when I release the metal latch.  The bright sunlight outside blinds me to the dark blankness inside.  It feels cooler and I relax in the shelter from the hot air.  Eventually my eyes adjust to the faint contrast of slices of sunlight as they filter through cracks and holes catching dancing dust fairies which hang above the earthen floor in stasis.  Their glimmer is the only movement in the quiet stillness all around me.  There are two empty but familiar stalls staring at each other on the far end of the building.  An old bit of rope hangs from one wooden support post.

It is so stale inside as if nothing alive has been here for hundreds of years.  This is odd because there is only weathered wood between the bird and insect noisy traffic outside.  There must be mice and dark beetles at home in small corners and behind the wooden boxes stacked to one wall.  I tilt my head to one side and listen, carefully and with slow intent.  Such a peaceful quiet is foreign to my city ears and I hear just a soft creak as the big door moves when caught by the small summer breeze.

It is not how I remember it at all.  This was once a busy place with milking cows, an old tractor with its insides open and undergoing constant repair, swallows leaving their mud bowl nests under the trusses to dive bomb the dogs beneath them, and above it all, unseen, was a loft of sweet smelling hay.  There was always movement and sounds and animals grunting. 

I cross the uneven earth and test the first step of the wooden ladder to the loft.  It holds very firm as does the rest of the ladder as I climb it slowly to the very top avoiding splinters from the edges of the wood.  I pull my knee over the edge at the last step and scoot up onto the floor.  There is no hay, just dust and pieces of wood.  The large door to the hayloft is gone and light floods the area making it easy to see that some animal, probably a vulture or barn owl, had recently made its home here.  It smells faintly of must and poultry.

I sit with crossed legs at the edge of the loft door, the hot sun on my arms, my eyes in the shade and look across the land.  It is fallow and growing mowed weeds these days.  Colored wildflowers fight for attention in the center.  It still looks familiar.

That crazy summer floods back in my memory.  I had learned that I was a woman by the way the young boy we had hired for the summer watched me out of the corner of his eye.  It was an uncommon electric feeling that fed my soul and changed everything I did each day.  It changed how I wore my hair, how I walked, and how I modulated my voice.  We got to know each other over the weeks in between heavy-duty chores and lost our self-conscious pretenses.  We shared lemonade, jokes, and a swim in the river down by the cherry trees.  We loaded bales of hay onto the wagon and laughed as we grew sweaty and tired by sunset barely able to walk back along the dirt road to the house.  By August, we held hands and kissed and he smelled of raw corn or green grass and soap.

Then we almost made love one afternoon in this loft.  He was the one who pulled away at the last minute as he felt my body give in and my arms welcome him close.  He was the smarter one, and I was the thoughtless romantic.  He had three years on me and plans for another three years.  I was still into romance novels and gossip and another boring year of high school.

It is tempting to think what might have evolved if we had made love.  I am old enough now to know what a tragedy that might have been back then.  That foolish romantic in me is long gone.  I never heard from him or about him after that summer.  It was as if he was a character in those romance novels I read and had faded into a fictional fog with the end of the summer.  It was as if he did not really exist except in my imagination.  It was as if he was a canceled summer series on television.  It was as if that girl did not exist either, because I was someone else now.  I had responsibilities, I was sophisticated, I was working on a plan.  I had buried that silly child somewhere far away like a faded valentine or pressed corsage that doesn't look quite as wonderful as it did on the day it was given.  Today I was a foreigner in a foreign land.

(Bits and pieces are true, of course, but the story is fiction.)

20 comments:

  1. I like it. Intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yet, the girl is still there, in the corners of your mind, remembering the sights and smells as if they were yesterday...

    Good story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always tempting to think what might have been...impossible to know.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Ahh the possibilities and the heat of passions once felt...loved this..wonderful story
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your description perfectly captures the memories held in a long deserted barn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What happens in the hayloft stays in the hayloft.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was fiction? You really reeled me in. What beautiful writing. Please write a book about this very subject. Seriously. It was beautiful. Loved every minute of it.

    The beginning reminded me of when my parents and I would take trips to my great grandfather's farm. My dad spent all the summers of his youth there and it was always so melancholy going back. It was abandoned and run down. So much like you described.

    Beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such inviting imagery. This was a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh yes
    what might have been
    this thought
    arises
    every now and then
    I smile
    and continue in my world
    as it is today...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh but such a story - almost any woman has that young girl still inside somewhere, remembering...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This lit a flame to my own memories. Sweet, sad, ghosts of a life long ago. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. But he gave you much. :)

    RYN: All those photos are of grandchildren. Lessa, the eldest, had five, and all but one are adopted. Three are in big families, and one family refuses to see us. The other daughter had two. Mohave and David.

    Sometimes alcoholism makes families grow exponentially.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What, fiction? I totally pictured you in a hay loft, but with an unusual boy who practiced restraint.

    I grew up with an old barn like that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8:48 PM

    With different settings, this could be each one of us, couldn't it? Wonderfully, wistfully written. I was right there in the barn, too, remembering...

    ReplyDelete
  15. what could have been...i would like to hope we can balance responsibility and the hopeful romantic side you know...smiles...compelling story....

    ReplyDelete
  16. It really pulled me in and hooked my emotions. You captured it so well. I always seem to feel sad though when I learn something is fiction, almost like I was taken in or want to believe it really happened. I know I am odd in preferring to read non-fiction.

    A great time to visit Floyd is when Virginia's Blue Ridge Music Festival is happening with 11 days of classical music events. It's happening now and I'll be posting something soon. It really knocks Floyd up another level. And of course, the Friday Night Jamboree is a always a must do event.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Colleen you are not odd. I think we all prefer non-fiction. We like that someone trusts us enough to share!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It would be so much nicer if the story were true.
    Of course, it has been, is, and always will be true somewhere. How sad if that weren’t so.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.