Thursday, May 02, 2013

Thursday Thoughts 13 # 39 -- It has been a long time.

  1. Blogs are like children.  If you have too many that you follow, you cannot give each one the attention that it deserves.
  2. I love cowboy boots and own two pair...but I don't wear them as often as I should or could because I am afraid of getting them dirty and if I am home alone, I cannot get them off!
  3. I was away from the house for two days and asked hubby to do one thing while I was gone - clean the microwave oven.  While I was gone he vacuumed the whole house, did three loads of laundry, cleaned the bathrooms, but did not touch the scum in the microwave! (Is this bitch ever happy?)
  4. I was discussing the difficulty of weight loss with my daughter and she said she was sure if I just gave up bread I would lose weight.  In the spirit of self-defeat I am going to try that for as long as I can just to prove her wrong.
  5. Over a week later my bouquet of mixed cut flowers from hubby is still in beautiful condition.  It has taken 42 years of marriage...but he finally gets me flowers from the florist rather than the grocery store.
  6. I really do like being alone and if I was not afraid that it was a possible mental defect, I would rarely leave the house.  I will be really all alone this coming week, and I am a little sad about it.  Am I never satisfied?
  7. Since I have a cable DVR I rarely channel surf in the evenings.  It all waits for me just exactly as I have arranged it on my elitist list.  Thus I was both shocked and surprised to see that I had recorded some program that set a contest of people trying to get wheels of cheddar down a hill on a sled.  Boring.
  8. As a follow-up to the above, it depresses me to no end that people who watch the most popular shows on TV may also vote. 
  9. After returning from Mexico and drinking their coffee, I cannot seem to find a brand that satisfies me anymore.
  10. I am still boggled and trying to understand the message that only 10% of the cells in our body are human cells.  I guess the message is that we are more connected to nature than I had hoped.
  11. A distant but long time friend died last week of a rare but nasty brain disease similar to Alzheimer's and left behind a sweet and smart wife.  I cannot stop running the scenario through my head on what I would do if this had happened to me.
  12. Next week I am taking my daughter to a spa for her birthday as her choice.  I never go to spas and will be getting a facial for the first time in my life.  I got my first pedicure in my late 40's.  It all seems so decadent to this former farm girl.
  13. I am thinking I should not do these Thursday 13's unless I really make an effort to structure them around a theme!  So lazy.

20 comments:

  1. Talk about exposing ones self:) You cannot imagine how I related to this post. About all I can help with is the coffee. We order "Jamaican Me Crazy" coffee beans and when people visit they rave about the coffee plus the aroma of the kitchen when the beans are ground.

    The phobia for staying at home is called agoraphobia and I have it also...except when I don't.

    Television shows also have me marveling at the fact the watchers may also be voters.

    Oh and I wear Roper boots and Roper shoes both easy on with shoe horns or pullers and easy off. Practical but not sexy at all.

    Good job on the 13. How often could you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally broke down and cleaned the microwave at work. It took me a while. Some red sauce was literally baked onto the ceiling of the unit. Gross.

    My Mom became a reclue (almost) and I can easily follow the same pattern. I have to force myself to go out sometimes.

    I want to be hypnotized so that I no longer eat any bread - I know I would lose weight because that is my main food source. Ugh. Good luck. You probably know your body better than your daughter.

    I had my first pedicure at 51. And it was my only one so far. I liked it, but cannot justify the expense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so wish we had cable DVR.
    Thoughts would be difficult to arrange around a theme. Just let them bubble up and go with what you get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you'll stop eating bread just to prove her wrong, I'd do that

    I hope you enjoy the spa day, they always make me uncomfortable but I have been less and less sociable these days

    I read this twice because it made me feel less alone and crazy, thanks for that

    Guess what's on my nightstand? Brave New World

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe but they were all interesting thoughts and many I have also thought about. I also can easily turn recluse as I like where I live and my daily activities. i have to make myself get out. And yes, I have been amazed many times that the one thing I ask my husband to do doesn't make the list of what he actually does. On the other hand, once in awhile he remembers something I said a week earlier and actually does it. How this all works is beyond me... I've had a lot of facials but never had a pedicure or manicure and now am thinking I may never have one just so I can keep saying that-- especially after I saw they cost $40 at the one on the edge of one of the big box stores I do frequent-- which shall remain nameless so I don't get blasted for buying from them (hint: they can also be known as the evil empire)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list. reminded me that I need to clean the oven, it is a selfcleaner and for the life of me I don't understand why I don't do it.

    I have times I love staying home alone and then it stops and I'm never home. I don't know what fires off one or the other.

    Sorry for your friends loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will be hard not to eat bread at the spa, but daughter is right. Enjoy the facial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For coffee, go to www.cajungrocer.com and look at their selections for coffees. You might try ordering one of the brands in dark roast or with chicory -- we love our coffee dark and strong down here, so while it may take a little effort and experimenting to find the one you like, in the end, good coffee is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always lose weight when I stop eating bread.. and cookies.. and chocolate.. and ... yeah, please prove her wrong. ;)

    You get flowers.. nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, but they are sadly interesting.

    I'm climbing ladders and swearing while struggling to hang art. Next time I ave things reframed, I'm going to use plexi. Hugs. Here's your chance to catch up with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:32 PM

    I loved your list! I didn't get a pedicure until my 40's either, and then only because of my sister's invitation. (I confess I love them, now, though.) Your husband sounds like my husband. Sigh. I do love my new boots, but I started to wonder if I would have to wear them the rest of my life last time I wore them. I've hesitated to wear them since.

    ReplyDelete
  12. cool list...
    1. i agree...and shallow relationships wear on you...glad the bouquet is still thriving...sometimes it takes us guys a while to learn you know...smiles...ha on those voting watching tv...smiles....i am sorry for the loss of your friend...nah no theme needed, just release what you got...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed this a lot. I heard you, especially, on the subject of facials and pedicures. I usually don't care for massages, either, I think it's because I hate anyone handing my body or body parts in an impersonal way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know Tabor - I liked the unstructured, off the cuff tone of this. It's like a garden sown with a handful of wild flower seeds - you never know what you'll find!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So since I don't eat much bread at all, and I am struggling to lose weight, what do I give up? I do know, of course. Chocolate. I don't want to.
    I love #8!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this post! it mirrors my thinking too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What makes you think humans are not nature?

    Stop torturing that man already.

    Not eating bread, i.e. carbs, will make you lose weight. if you also stop eating potatoes, you’ll lose even more. But your breath will stink.

    I have regular facials. I hope you enjoy yours.



    ReplyDelete
  18. You are great at 13 Thursday and the stream of consciousness theme is my favorite. We are so alike in a #6 way and the pedicure at 40.

    I usually have more to say but forget it by the time I'm on the comment page!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thursday 13s - A theme of random thoughts. I don't think it needs a change. I'm sure all of us can relate to at least one of youir thoughts; like the first one. I could spend hours reading blogs, however, there are too many "children" that I love and just don't have the time.

    I pictured you trying to get the cowboy boots off - funny vision!

    Being alone is easy for me, too, though, when I'm out, I'm very happy to be talking to friends.

    I'm sorry about your friend. I suppose we all wonder from time to time about how we're going to "go."

    10% human cells? Fascinating! I'm always interested in studies involving the human body.

    I'm not a spa, mani-pedi person either; though it could be in my future. Hmmm... I always feel that I can be doing something else in the limited time of the day. Gotta learn to relax.



    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not only lazy, but I catch myself napping.

    Thanks so much for your notes. Thanks too for this entry. Just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.