Sunday, June 30, 2013

Technology Tweaking is Tantamount to Torture



Well, I ignored all the news blurbs on Google Reader and the concerns by select bloggers recently, because I try to keep my internet social activities to a minimalist experience when discussing coding.  I have not felt any need to make my blog commercial or to make sure it is discovered by many readers.  In my cases and with my subject matter, that effort usually results in more spam rather than more insightful comments from new readers who do not have the advantage of a depth of experience with me.  Yes, stunning writers capture you at "Hello," but writers such as I have to grow on you a bit.  I get less Zen and more Zeitgeist if I try to be innovative in a technological way.

Years ago when I taught HTML to myself just to get through web development at my job, I was glad to be nearing retirement and more able to ignore each new version and change and added acronyms such as XML!  I was the go-to person for many software projects, but it was all a false front because we were the blind leading the blind, and most of us had other things we wanted to accomplish with or without the ever changing technology.

So, is this death of Google Reader, which is something I do not really understand, some type of RSS feed that affects the setting on my Blogs I Follow feed that I set up under Google Blogger years ago?  Is this why I can no longer get new blog post feeds from my blog pals and scroll and select as I did in the past sometimes and can get it other times?

Yes, I get post updates if I go to the Blogger dashboard behind my blog page and peruse the Reading list that falls below...but I am not sure this includes all the blogs I now follow.  What about those under a different service?

I have a wedding to go to and do not have time for this falderal (not a code).  It is like all of the blogs that I follow have fallen behind the iron curtain of coding.  Is this what I deserve for getting this for free for so many years and for naively believing it would continue forever?  I need to be archiving select posts!!

14 comments:

  1. I missed that there was to be a change but I know change is what I expect from the Internet. Well, life too but especially the Internet. I have had three Internet media features that I used to use, community chats of a sort (Sedona Chat, Webtalk, and finally Go), and each eventually ended up self-destructing-- when I didn't want it to happen. It pretty well taught me to not count on anything lasting in the ether realm. I try to enjoy it as it is there but expect it to eventually disappear. I would miss the communities though in each should it happen :( but it's the nature of this realm. It doesn't make enough money or the technology leaves it behind. Definitely I expect blogs to someday be that way but hope not too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw others posting about this. I didn't use this feature (or any other that was available) - not certain why. I think I was kind of in my own little world and had already set up my routine with my own way of reading blogs and ignored it.

    I think it helped those that had quite a few blogs to read. I try to keep mine to below 40. I have a routine where I have to go to each blog to see if they have posted and sometimes that is annoying for ones that do not post often, but as I say - I was stuck in my routine.

    I did not have to type each address out or go to book marks. I made my own html page and all I had to do was click on the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My Blog List" on my sidebar is still working and your post is the second on my updated list.
    I am very confused about just what "reader is and what changes is taking place. Like you, I'll just be waiting to see. I will not be happy if my blog list goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still use the blog list and I added some non-blogspot writers to that a while ago when I first heard about the end of reader. I never saw that there was an advantage to reader over my reading list in dashboard anyway. I have no idea about what even to be confused about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've also heard about this. I guess nothing good last forever, especially when it;s free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got me. I never used Google Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have yet to do anything...today i think i will make a list of those i follow just in case but i will wait and see what happens and move slow as i need or is needed...smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's awful when something that ap[pears to work for the customer is changed!

    Like Linda Reeder I use my sidebar to keep up to date with the blogs I like (like yours of course).

    ReplyDelete
  9. This first-cousin-to-a-Luddite never went in for Google reader. If my blog list on the dashboard goes, i'm not sure what i'll do, but if it's not got anything to do with that, i'll still get the blogs i love and not care what else happens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:24 PM

    You sound way more technology-savvy than me, but I did investigate "Feedly.com" when I heard about the demise of Google Reader. It's free and automatically uploaded the blogs I follow. It's easy to organize, and you can comment right on there. (Now I know who to go to when I have HTML questions!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. FEEDLY.com is quite good. I don't have a blog but read many, many blogs on a regular basis. FEEDLY lists all the unread postings for me. You can also make folders of blogs containing the same subject matter.

    I have also tried BLOGLOVIN, but for me FEEDLY is much more user-friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Feedly's not perfect (neither was Google Reader) but they seem the best to me. What astonishes me is the number of articles I've seen saying that RSS is dead because Twitter gives so much more. Perhaps its a different Twitter than the one I see -- or maybe there are services that agglomerate Twitter feeds for you. Even if there are, I prefer RSS, if for no other reason than that the articles have more than 140 characters!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Technology has always become obsolete the minute I've learned it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is driving me crazy.....why mess with us????

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.