Monday, July 01, 2013

Where Did I Leave That Guidebook

I was sitting watching the movie "Lost in Translation" on television this week.  (I had vacuumed and mopped the kitchen floor, washed the cupboards, made cookies, cooked some marinated pork for later easy BBQ...all for the impending company and I needed a movie break.)  I had seen this movie originally at the theater years ago and fell in love with it at that time.  It is so well written and acted and so different from what one expects in a love story.  If you have ever been on a business trip to a foreign country or traveled with your spouse on such a trip or spent time on lay over in a country where you are killing time, this movie so expresses that lost feeling and that time for re-evaluation of where you are in living your life.  I have been to Japan several times for various reasons and all of the scenes in this movie reminded me of those trips in some way.

Trying to figure it all out, trying to absorb the culture, trying to understand the culture, trying not to be so homesick, trying not to be so different, and being away from your familiar home as if on another planet and feeling a misfit and re-viewing what you want out of life and what decisions you have made thus far is kind of what what this movie is all about.  The lead man is Bill Murray playing an over-the-hill actor who has adjusted to fame and wealth, but is at that time in his life where he can see the world through the un-rose colored glasses.  He sees people as they are and with casual humor moves through each day with equanimity.  The lead woman is Scarlett Johansson who throws a wrench in that movement.  I do not know if this was her first big movie, but I had never seen her before in anything and her charisma  and charm and earthiness is all over the place.  She plays the young end of the lost generation.  She has followed her famous singer husband to Japan and finds herself spending most of her time waiting for him in a hotel room and trying to find herself.  These actors could not have been better cast.  They both come across as real people who through no fault of their own find themselves living in some exotic artificial emptiness and who are able to find each other in that maze growing toward a solid friendship.  It is far from a traditional love story.

Well, perhaps, I have not made this movie sound as interesting as it is.  It is all about values, self-awareness, shallowness, and people who are 'stuck'.  We have all been there and most of us survive that period, and some of us jump off a cliff and find ourselves face down on the concrete. 

Guess what?  I think that this is my first movie review!

19 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first movie review. I liked the movie also, but maybe not as much as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen "the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brighid, I did. It did not touch me quite as much as this other movie. Although, I must admit I watched it on the small screen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved "Lost in Translation." I've seen it three times, I may buy a copy. I agreed with your review and for me, who grew up moving around, 14 schools by age 15 when we settled, sometimes you don't have to be overseas to be out of the culture. Great film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not watch many movies. I really don't know why. I read about them and think I would like to watch and then I just don't. My sister thinks there is something seriously wrong with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may have to watch this one again after your review. I didn't "get" it the first time round.

    As for Scarlett. She was in a wonderful movie before Lost. The Horse Whisperer. She plays a girl who loses her leg in a riding accident.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well you did a fine job!
    I haven't watched this movie as of yet!
    Will have to give it a try
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw the movie years ago but have forgotten most of it. I think I hoped that the friendship did not turn sexual (big age difference) and I think it did not. I like Bill Murray's understated acting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And a good review it is, too! I don't watch many movies but I have been temoted to watch this a couple of times. I may well do so now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like one worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you seen the "Marigold Hotel" film? Try "Quartet" too. :)

    There's two more to review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I'll watch this film tomorrow. My husband has been to Japan several times on business trips, and I went there once with a group of teachers and spent three weeks living with a Japanese family. It was a funny experience. Japan is like nowhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’ve only seen this movie once but I remember enjoying it, and what’s more, I didn’t even have to pack in a full day’s housework beforehand to feel entitled to do so.

    I don’t remember it as a great movie but certainly as one I would watch again given the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. At least I like where I live, in spite of not having enough time to relax in it!
    Sounds like an interesting film- I only get the old films these days

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been pleasantly surprised by Bill Murray when he has a chance to play with no gophers. I mean, ANYONE can act with gophers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. and as a result, I shall have to rent the movie and watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hm..... am going to off and rent it. Sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought this was a great movie. After seeing it I didn't want to go to Tokyo, ever. But then last year I did; I liked Japan, but when I was in Tokyo I couldn't help but think of Lost In Translation.

    Scarlet Johansson was the little girl in The Horse Whisperer; that was the 1st movie I saw her in anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous5:17 PM

    I totally agree with you on this movie, and I'm glad to find someone else who loves it as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.