Sunday, September 29, 2013

Trying to Find Time to Watch a Season Pass

I have been waiting for down time to write in depth on at least one or two of the many thoughts that flit through my head just before I drift off to sleep.  I think of some 'great concept' or some 'interesting idea' that I could elaborate upon in my 'unread' blog, but by morning the idea has melted away like the mist in the valleys of West Virginia this time of year.  My mind is freshly empty as usual, or the idea looks like stale popcorn in the cold light of day.
 

We both felt a call of the mountains this week, and while there was much to do here to get ready for winter, we took off on a last minute trip to one of the state parks.  We lucked out on getting the last room because they were renovating (which we had not known) and everything was being torn up.  Noise and sawdust and hearty laughs of construction workers mingled with autumn colors, morning mist, evening shadows, fearless deer and wet mossy trails to hike.

It is illegal to feed the deer, this tourist is just rattling some paper!
The pool was empty of summer visitors.

The tour bus and the convention started the following day, thus we had the old fashioned bar to ourselves.  It was slated for paint and new furniture that week!

Even the sign above did not discourage us in our pursuit of peace.

This trail was marked as "more difficult."

Finding a few last cranberries.

These prior weeks before and after the cruise were busy:  we had been briefly honored by the County Commissioners (yes including the one I wrote that nasty email to a year ago about the trees) for our volunteer work, visited by my daughter's family with her three children and her two friends and their twins to feed and entertain, worked at the art museum for their Art Fest and filled other weekends by working/packing/painting at my son's house which has now SOLD!!

Today we head up to son to help him move furniture into the new house.  I have made green chile.  But the craziness is not quite read to end.  This coming week it looks like we may have visitors from Florida for a few days!

Then maybe a break in busy activities?  Really!!  We needed that mountain respite.  I might have missed fall altogether.





16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful place to find yourselves peace. Beautiful mountains!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. My home state.....love seeing the photos.

    You have really been busy - as have we. I'd love a week in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful refreshing break! Hooray for the sale of your son's house. My youngest (20 years younger) sister is doing this right now. Starting out fresh in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great that you have been able to take a break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, lovely I say in admiration. I love the warm days and crisp nights here. Not crisp enough for me tho. You two look like you are in heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great get away for you. Sounds as though you needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a feeling someone is feeding those deer, otherwise they wouldn't look so eager for food. But I sure understand the rational for not feeding therm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not familiar with green chile. Is this like the chile con carne but with green chile peppers?

    Or is it an all green chile soup ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, a mountain retreat! How wonderful! And that last picture is just breathtaking. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, it is so infuriating to have a great idea in my head when I have to pen and paper (while I'm running or in the middle of the night). I have the most beautiful poetry run through my head when I can't write it down. Go figure! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sound more pensive that I. Perhaps it's the change of seasons...for at last we have a bit of chill in the evenings. On my part, perhaps it's so many friends dying all at once. At lease I worked for an hour or so at the drawing board today. Progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks lovely up there, with the changing colors and the fog and mist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous2:28 AM

    Beautiful mountains to feel relaxed. Wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. glad you got to visit those mountains...they are home to me...west virginia is my neighbor as well....we go there or through there often...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a pool of clouds. I'm curious where you stayed. Love those pink chairs.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.