Monday, October 28, 2013

A Recipe




Butternut Squash Soup

I do not often post recipes because the Internet is full of them and this blog is not a food blog, but this soup has been such a nice success that I wanted to share it. I made this the other day for the second time (and I have tweaked the recipe for my tastes) and found this so luscious in the cool fall.  It has a little fat, but is really healthy.

Ingredients

1 medium butternut squash cut in half and roasted cut side down  in a pan with just a little water until very tender at 350 degrees...20-30 minutes.  (Be careful in cutting the hard squash!)
1 tablespoon butter
2 or 3 tablespoons coconut milk
1 & 1/2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 tsp ground anise seed (If you do not like anise,  nutmeg or cinnamon can be used)
2 to 3 tsps. ground curry (less pungent type is best)
1 granny smith (or any other) apple peeled and chunked.
1 small piece of ginger peeled (size of thumbnail)
(You can also add a small bit of sugar if you want a bit sweeter taste...I like it both ways.)

When squash is tender remove it and let cool before carefully scooping out the seeds to toss and then spoon out soft meat from the squash and put in food processor.  Process squash, apple and ginger in a food processor until smooth.  Warm butter, coconut milk, and broth in the microwave or saucepan and add slowly to the pureed ingredients.  Add spices.  Add salt if you think it needs more and puree briefly.  Pour all into a sauce pan and heat until it is the desired consistency, some like a soup and others like it more thick like a bisque.  Serve with a dollop of thinned sour cream or low fat yogurt and a shake of smoked paprika (from Hungary if you have it ;-))  You can also add a shake of hot red pepper if you like that.

Yeah photo is blurred...but I was hungry!

18 comments:

  1. A side dish or a meal? It almost looks like applesauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something wonderful to eat on a cold windy night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen, it can be a meal for lunch along with a slice of bread and salad and if a small bowl it works as a side dish for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy. We are definitely in soup weather here and I just brought home an acorn squash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that looks scrumptious. What did you serve it with....salad and bread? Looks like our kind of soup.

    And now I see your note up above.....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now if only i could convince my Sweetie to try it! It does look luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make the virtually identical soup, except using the local pumpkin squash and sans the apple. I'll add apple next time.
    It is wonderful but very rich, best consumed in small portions, I find.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love butternut squash soup.
    Mine a little different from yours
    and you have given me some
    new ideas :)
    It is a meal for me with bread
    and sweet tea..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this using my acorn squash and it was yummy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. I love homemade soup. Easy and mostly healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well that sounds real good except I don't like butternut squash or curry or anise seed or coconut milk but I do like butter and chicken broth and apple and ginger and sugar so do you think I could leave the other stuff out and still call it Butternut Squash Soup? lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love butternut squash soup. This recipe sounds delicious. I'm going to have to try that. If you stab a squash a few times with a knife or fork, and microwave it for a few minutes and let it cool (or wear silicone oven mits) it should be much easier to cut and to peel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hilary, you are correct but the roasting does add a bit more flavor to the squash.

    ReplyDelete
  14. interesting...i am pretty picky on squash...but i am intrigued as i never had a squash soup....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous5:48 PM

    Thanks for posting this. I love soup when it gets cold, and I'd rather get recipes from someone I know than just off the internet. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yours looks pretty anyhow!~ I do love squash, usually just cook n eat as is- but that sounds worth a try-

    ReplyDelete
  17. "....shake of smoked paprika from Hungary if you have it..."

    show-off.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never liked soup until the last few years. Now I love it. Thanks for the recipe. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.