Saturday, October 26, 2013

Courtship

(With apologies to this state park volunteer.)
I was walking through the hardware store today (I had sold some stock and was going to buy some birdseed for the feeders '-) ) and I noticed that lines were beginning to get long as it was a Saturday.  A woman, close to my age, maybe a little younger, with a man's haircut was watching me closely.  I suddenly felt guilty pushing the cart with the 40 pound bag of bird seed toward the register thinking to myself that she might be having trouble meeting her food bills and here I was feeding woodpeckers!

An elderly man with a small electric drill got in line behind me.  She looked from across the other register line at him and smiled and called, "Hey, Joe, how are you doing?"

Joe smiled, left my line and got behind her, since she was already approaching a register clerk, and they chatted warmly while both paid for their purchases.

I saw them again in the parking lot as I was lifting the heavy bird meal into the trunk of my car.

They were joking about some project he was working on with that drill and she was laughing that she would just "paint a circle over it."

Then as I returned the cart to the store door and passed the elderly couple, the man turned to the woman and asked, "Say, where did you get those fancy pants?"

I looked up and for the first time noticed that the woman was dressed in a baggy gray sweat shirt and a pair of pink and purple flowered pants that only a colorblind or very confident person would wear out shopping.  I missed what she said in response, but could not help but smile...old people flirting and men still use silly lines!

14 comments:

  1. You aren't old unless you choose to be. Anyone can get rheumatism in the body, it's when you get rheumatism in the soul that you might as well pick out your coffin, as L.M. Montgomery said in one of her "Anne" series books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very curious about how old you think they were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me wondering just how expensive bird seed was if you had to liquidate stocks to purchase it. Forty pounds? That's a lot of seed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, I am guessing they were in their early 60's...he at least. Stephen, you cannot imagine how expensive bird seed has become! I am guessing only the really rich or the really stupid feed birds during the winter months. There was one 20# bag with mostly peanuts and I think the price was $60. I felt my heart jump as I moved to the cheaper seed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa. I have used the last of the bird seed Mike had stockpiled. I was thinking that was a job I might not continue. He kept the feeders cleaned and filled and he washed the deck on a regular basis. We did enjoy watching the birds, but I think I will just do a hummingbird feeder in the spring/summer--save money, save the extra chores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha. do you expect our lines to get better with age? like a fine wine....smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with messymimi.

    Early 60's? That's not old; right Annie?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you did to that photo to illustrate your story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I gave up feeding the birds here, the rodent population liked the leavings too much. There are winter berries in the yard that attract flickers though so I make do with that. I like my grocery store chats with my male contemporaries. Some mild flirting and we go our ways still strangers but the conversations are nice. I shop very early in the day and there are a lot of us 70 something there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:17 AM

    When we are old also when we enjoy our life we are still young...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are doing just fine. No bird feeders here...we have very large rats in the trees outside.
    You would have liked the chair show. I was so surprised to find so many I knew so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wouldn't call early 60's elderly. Her pants would be the first thing I would notice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. People watching and listening is so much fun. Thanks for sharing your amusing observations. We buy the good stuff too but in our new place (considerably north of the old place) there are far fewer squirrels to raid the feeders so it lasts much longer.. despite the very active bird population.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.