Sunday, October 06, 2013

Taking Action

Yes, I have started taking a Vitamin D supplement as advised.  For the first few days I doubled the dose by taking a pill morning and evening to see if I could jump start how I feel.  I also renewed my calcium supplements.  Both of these were recommended by my physician a few years ago, but I did not follow through for very long as I should have.  (Thus, I am not taking these just because many of my blog readers recommended it.  We all should follow the guidance of our doctor when paired with blogger advice.  I do love you all for being so helpful and kind!)

I will wait on the therapy unless my next meet-up with Doc says it would be a good idea.  (I AM feeling better mood wise and MAYBE energy wise.)  I hate that mental therapy in culture is so stigmatized!

There was a delay in re-starting my exercise program because I have company coming this week.  These are old friends of hubby that we have not seen as often as we would like since they live in Florida.  They are the "millionaires next door" because they have received several mil from the DOD for their land.  They are allowed to live in their charming little house on this land until they die.  You would NEVER know they had this much money because they live a normal retiree life-style except for more travel to exotic locations than the average retired couple.

I did finally open one of the two Yoga DVDs that I bought so many months ago.  This summer has been too crazy for Yoga and I have been too lazy.  I will try to follow one of these when I am through writing this post.  I have found that only the beginners Yoga levels can be done with any safety by me!

I do think one of the stimulus for this downer period in my mood was a "co-leader" that I work with on one of my volunteer projects.  In the beginning she was very critical at the lack of communication from my end but this mid-summer anything from her role as the museum contact was deadly silent.  I would show up at our meetings to find that I was faced with some deadline or misunderstanding because the DD at the museum had met with her but I never got emailed or contacted on any of the decisions and/or resulting deadlines that she agreed to.  When I returned after my cruise and asked what had transpired while I was gone (so I could write the monthly report) her total response was "We accomplished a lot!  Just look around!"  It seems my resignation as co-leader did not release me from angst as much as I had hoped and feeling that I failed in some way...but I am moving forward on that.

The final punch to my gut has been the TP group that with hubris, glee, confusion and ignorance has adversely affected the lives of many young and highly professional people I know.  (When you cannot win the game by playing by the rules, kick that ball into the woods and then blame it on the other team.) The hidden frustration of my bureaucrat hard-working and furloughed friends on FB has worried me.  In a second fell swoop these past years the TP gang has reduced much enthusiasm for entering public service.  Big money has flooded the rural areas with radio and TV dishonesty and fed the frustration and anger most of us had with this world by advocating a slash and burn agenda.  And many have been boondoggled into thinking this is a good approach.  If this continues there is a good chance that my Social Security check will stop or at the very least pause.  I have saved several months of cash...but I know many, many, many folks do not have this luxury.  No wonder I am depressed, and not listening to the TV news doesn't remove what I see happening all around me where I live.  I have been waited on by an administrative assistant who lost her job at the nearby military base due to sequestration, I know scientists that have lost their research due to a lengthy gap in funding their work, and others whose federal budgets have been FLAT for a decade.  This President has lost my strong support by allowing the TP to put us in this corner with his lack of hard negotiating skills.  He gave away much with budget cuts with the sequestration months ago and now we are STILL in a corner and I do not have the stomach to go through this again in mid-November if we do move on.  He and his team have also failed to really explain the pros and cons of the ACA implementation...where it costs us more and where it saves us more.  (Although I will admit I am amazed at how stupid many Americans are about this. Sanjay guupta says 2/3s of Americans admit they do not know much about the ACA.   If you have not seen Jimmy Kimmel's street segment you probably do not know what I am talking about.)

On an uplifting note the pottery below was our recognition gift from the County for being one of their "beautiful" people.  The dozen people we were nominated with were so much more "beautiful" than hubby or I and I was impressed with how carefully they made this ceremony more than a token feel-good event.  Each County Commissioner was responsible for reading the information on two or three of the people being honored.  (It did surprise me how many of these Commissioners could NOT read!)  The press from a half dozen news offices snapped away making me feel like a celebrity and they provided a nice lunch.  I met that one County Commissioner (yep, a TP dude) with his genuinely warm smile and handshake and the fact that he remembered my protest letter...showing what a good politician he is...even though his response to me had been somewhat condescending in the original email reply last year, he was super warm and friendly at this event.


The wine cork trivets in the back were made by my lovely DIL as gifts from her wedding.

19 comments:

  1. I've been on my vitamin D for three weeks now and my mood and energy is better, hope the same for you. Congrats on your award. I like the little crabs on your pottery. Were they made by a local artist?

    The TP'er was warm and friendly? Are your county commissioners elected? I suspect many who are will find themselves unelected I'm hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, no depression here but active ennui instead. G has seasonal depression and finds his SAD light solves his problems. What is/are TP?

    Just because you have visitors is no reason not to take care of yourself. If you call your therapist for an appointment, I bet you find that it will be for after they have left.

    I'm so sorry this is lingering, but bravo for doing something and telling us what's happening. I shall go get G some vitamine D today.

    Nope, that 19 is in addition to our regular fees. G says better service at a better price with a better picture for 19 more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started taking Vitamin D about 3months ago and also a calcium supplement. Never one to take anything and now take Multi, eye vitamin and proiobotic several times a week. A long rainy, lonely, turning cool day and no leaves changing as of yet. Want so to do my walking and yoga but with knee healing it is a slow pace.
    Take care and thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is sad that getting help when we need it, in the mental health department, still carries a stigma. It shouldn't, but the fact that it does is the reason i have to gut my way through my depression when it hits. There are people and organizations that would hold it against me if i "caved" and either took meds or sought help, and i have to co-exist with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Golly gee...was that supposed to be stimuli??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have suffered from cycles of depression since I was nine years old--peaked in my 40's and have been more manageable as time goes on. I can always tell an episode by the fact that I start bumping into things and get all black and blue. It took a long time to learn to deal, but I swear sunshine helps--Vitamin D!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toilet paper indeed. Just think positive. All those folks who are looking for different professions now leave room for the idealistic young to move in. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our son suffers from depression and I've seen what a terrible thing it is. Please take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I occasionally reach out to conservatives to talk about politics. Usually, I get flamed, though at the moment I'm talking to a young guy who likes Glenn Beck and the Toilet Paper party, but is nevertheless reasonable and funny. Politics is wierd.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geez Tabor....who wouldn't be depressed with all the mess going on?

    Cut yourself some slack, woman.

    I find a couple beers...a good long walk with the corgis...and a 20 minute run every day settle me down. In no particular order....

    Take care.....T






    ReplyDelete
  11. Geez Tabor....who wouldn't be depressed with all the mess going on?

    Cut yourself some slack, woman.

    I find a couple beers...a good long walk with the corgis...and a 20 minute run every day settle me down. In no particular order....

    Take care.....T






    ReplyDelete
  12. This song keeps playing in my head for your distress...."You deserve a break today...."

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently started on vitamin D myself (at the suggestion of a friend, mostly, but also after I heard Dr. Oz touting it.) Are you taking magnesium in conjunction with it? That supposedly boosts the performance of it. And I have found, after a couple of months, that I feel better. Whether this is real or some placebo effect, I don't care. It worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mother always said: "one step at a time, one foot in front of the other.it gets easier, it gets better." It's all those small steps over time that can either bring us down or lift us up. I personally self soothe with the mantra from The Help: "You is smart. You is kind. You is important. "

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so frustrating and twisted. The Parkway venues are shut down at the peak of their season (fall).

    My Dharmacratic friend recently recommend kana for me. I got some but now I am working up to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Go out and have a roaring good time somewhere. Works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous11:00 PM

    I'm behind in my blog reading and didn't know you were having these issues. I'm so sorry, but I'm glad they're getting better. My doctor doubled my 'd' a few years ago for osteo-issues. I'm glad to hear it has other benefits! A sunshine-filled weekend at the coast with women friends is still the best anti-depressant for me.
    I am so irritated at the lack of negotiating skills of the ones who are supposed to be running our country that I think I'll need another weekend soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Call me selfish, but I don't like to feel bad. Somehow, I am able to shut down all the mess that goes on in the world on a temporary basis for an hour or two, here and there. I allow myself to have my different moods: sad, mad, happy, empty-headed (though, surprisingly that one is hard), smart, peaceful, etc. It's hard to control, but I'm successful at it.

    I admire many people who have a strong voice, such as yours. We need you. I learn from you and ask myself questions that maybe I wouldn't have. However, I feel sorry that you have to endure the pain and stress of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tabor, I have been behind in my blog reading and I am sorry I didn't read that you were having these issues. I am so glad you are feeling well and getting better!
    Love!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.