Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Testing, 123

I grew up (after my early childhood) on a farm and while I learned how to milk cows, wean a calf, collect eggs, can garden vegetables and fruits, sew, iron and do laundry and even a little cooking I did not learn much about repair work on machinery or such.  When I got my first car, my dad took me out and made me change the tire on it ... which at the time, I found extremely annoying, but in retrospect I find extremely loving.

I am married to a man who in earlier years of our partnership was reticent but resigned to repairing things.  His dad was a car salesman and then a real estate salesman and knew nothing about repairing things.  His dad was just good at ordering repairmen around.  Well, my dear husband soon decided that working on things was not for him.  Repeated trips to the hardware store, followed by lost parts, followed by parts breaking, honed his philosophy into working a longer work week to pay a repairman.  Since I grew up with men who could fix anything and stretch a part for decades of use, I was a little displeased...OK I was disdainfully critical.  But years of marriage and I grew out of that and realized that not all men are "handy."   I also learned they can be "handy" at so many other things.

I was going to make a joke about wiring for a nefarious device...but one cannot do that these days, can one?
Today we marshaled our resolve to replace the motor arm for our broken gate in the driveway.  This is a gate to keep out deer...not people, although it keeps out door-to-door salesmen nicely!  Note that I said we were replacing it, because hubby's hours at attempting to repair it while talking on the phone to the tech assistant last month resulted in a break down of spirit and buying a new gate.

The new motor arm arrived all nice and shiny black...and it only weighed 20 pounds.  We were prepared for several hours of connecting colored wires and flipping switches and talking to the computer tech.  I took a photo of the wiring before we disconnected the old arm.  I reminded hubby to bring everything possible that he might need so that we didn't spend our time walking back and forth on the long driveway to the garage.  Hubby rolled over an old log to help hold the arm while we checked the battery box and began carefully placing screws and washers here and there.

AND THEN we connected the new motor arm.  Hubby called the tech and had him on the line before we tested it and GUESS WHAT?  It worked!  Like new, it worked on the very first test!   Yes, those of you who fix things can smugly role your eyes, but we are dancing a jig.  I am thinking this is going to be a good week all around.

23 comments:

  1. My husband would tackle electrical repairs, plumbing, and mechanical, although he did take the cars to an auto mechanic. He would not attempt any kind of carpentry or painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for you both!
    That would give me quite a feeling of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad was a professional mechanic who could repair just about anything. This ability skipped a generation and landed in our son, who like his grandpa can fix anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom pretty much knows what he can do and what he can't, but it is my experience that anything he does takes twice as long as expected, and some swearing along the way. I have learned not to linger while the fixing is going on, but to be available if needed to hold things.
    I am always so relieved when the fix works, sp I can relate to your joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up with a father who could and did repair anything. He painted, he plumbed, he rewired, he soldered, welded, laid brick, built things. My husband cannot fix anything and doesn't ever want to learn how to. My dad never could understand how a man could be that way. Me neither.

    Good for you with the gate. Hope it works for many years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They say that couples argue most about money but ours have been mostly about fixing things ... or not fixing them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful shared victory for you! My husband was not "handy" but tackled any problem with a spirit of adventure and learning. We used to say we invented the high five celebration long before it entered popular culture. Our biggest adventure was "fixing" a pump during a Mississippi monsoon. We were too slow and way too clumsy...in this case there was no high five until the flood receded. After he died I remember feeling suddenly mad at him when a doorknob fell off...my anger was about realizing that instead of two hapless "fixers" laughing at ourselves as we figured out what to do, I was alone and clueless with a doorknob in my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We can say "jerry-rigged", how's that? Is that okay to say these days? Or all we offending all Jerry's out there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I applaud you and share your joy over the success. Lately I am learning to make small repairs and feel quite proud. Ron could tackle any kind of job. My father was NOT a handy man but we called my mother Rosie for "Rosie the Riveter" because she could fix anything. It was nothing to come home from school and find fresh baked cookies on the counter while mother had some major appliance torn apart working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just great you both had success!
    Sounds amazing that you have deer all around! A gate to keep out deer make me laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! Just like not everyone can understand calculus on the first try and not everyone loves reading Chaucer in the origianl version, not everyone is a natural born do-it-yourselfer. The trick is to remember that much of this stuff can be learned.

    Good for both of you, learning something new and seeing it through!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This tale reminds me of the commercial with the guy adding insulation to his attic and now wants to do something with a chain saw. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have an all purpose tool with which I can fix anything. I call it a 'checkbook'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! I too am utterly amazed. Bravo to both of you. I'm just sitting her grinning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's so satisfying! Good for you. I have become a firm believer in hiring stuff out, but once in awhile we do it ourselves and that's a nice feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the great gate installation success!

    I'm a fixer usually- Not great with newer cars tho! Old ones fixed all the time... Now you need a lift n more tools-

    Have I mentioned I really like that header shot of colorful lake reflections yet?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not very handy but at least have developed some interest in practical repairs, etc. over the years. My husband can repair anything, which always surprises people who believe that someone with his education--a PhD-- can also repair cars, do carpentry and re-wiring and even plumbing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That should be "can't believe," of course! I guess I can hardly believe this myself, and yet it is true.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! I get the "excitement."

    I wrote a post called "Call Somebody or I'll Fix It." I couldn't resist going back to see what you wrote. You said you could handle plumbing and painting and that the husband pulled out the ladder when needed, and the rest was when you made the call. Well now, the two of you can add your current accomplishment to your resume!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done, you!

    I am handy to a point… I dance a jig every time I do something and it works, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. AT home my wife is the one who does all the DIY. I only do the cleaning, the washing up and the ironing! :-) Talk about a reversal of the male/female roles.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wanted to post "Cerulean Blue, can I borrow your tool?" But that just sounded wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.