Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Knock, Knock...Who's there?

My house is clean, my decorations packed away, my refrigerator and freezer being slowly emptied over the weeks ahead to use up all the "old" food.  (What a blessing to write that I have old food when many have little food.)  My floors are vacuumed and/or mopped, my laundry done, and the guest bedrooms' sheets all changed.  I ran my 3 and a quarter miles on the elliptical today and lifted some free weights...none of these were New Year's resolutions, because that makes them dangerous and confining.  I just like to start with a clean slate and hopefulness and find some way to justify that glass of wine or plate of dessert.

2014 welcomes us anal-retentives, just as she does those who are celebratory rather than Puritanic in nature and those who slouch, still half- asleep on the sofa, trying to watch the Rose Bowl game and trying to not think about their dread of the work day ahead. (Been there and done that!)

2014 also welcomes those who rise from a tangle of ribbons and partially cleaned food plates and watch little children that have way too much energy as they greet the first day of this year.  She smiles at those who gaze at piles of laundry and wonder if they will start the sorting before they run out of underwear.

2014 also welcomes those who spent the day at the hospital/rest home/therapeutic foster home holding a hand and trying to smile more and trying to remember gentle and humorous anecdotes for someone they love.  2014 comes with a ray of promise and a pat on the shoulder.

2014 welcomes those who have seen many new years come and go, and who now wonder how many they will see in the future.   2014 takes their shoulders in her forceful hands and says, "One day at a time, my friend...do not stare at the future.  Savor today!"

But 2014 is especially happy to greet those who took that leap, changed that habit, headed down that new and very different trail, made that big decision and changed their life forever for the better.

21 comments:

  1. I definitely want to be in the last category! But, I might have to do it BEFORE I clean the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm attempting to undecorate, clean house, eliminate holiday food, reorganize my house and organize my calendar, exercise, stay healthy, lose weight and .....! Yes, one day at a time. This day has run out of time. There will be plenty more to do tomorrow, and the next day. We anal retentives are not good at having unfinished tasks, but some lists are just too long. And unexpected time with my grandchildren today was a good reason to lengthen the timeline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done laundry today but the rest of the house is still a mess and I've still got all my Christmas cards up. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't picked up the stuff or turned off the outdoor lights yet- because I want to see them in the deep snow tomorrow-

    Besides, I had to work New Years Eve, n am still exhausted from the past week.

    I'll just be happy to stay warm for now-
    I wish a better year for you too!
    A better 2014 for blogging too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very warm tribute. I thought of my daughter when I got to part about the pile of laundry and the concern about clean underwear as they head back to work and school today. I am hoping her life gets easier this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all feels like science fiction to me ... the year 2014! I at least have the ornaments off the tree. Your spunk always impresses me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope 2014 brings change and peace and hope for the future, but I'm probably asking too much. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year, with a side order of peace and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only thing that I just can't get done is completing the health insurace process for my homeless friend. It frustrates me to tears that I can't get her through this process. We have been working on it for weeks but have technical errors related to her lack of address! I don't care if the wreath withers on my door, this lady has had no health care in years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. smiles....we are taking my gramma to a home this week...not going to be easy but she needs it...

    we just got back to our house for the first time since christmas and now have to undecorate....oy...smiles.

    happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of changes here. I'm in the pool but not cleaning, sweeping, or working around it. Imagine my surprise when I applied for am "aide" job and discovered it was with the lifeguard service. I ended up doing a lot of various things for the park and rec department over the years....a newspaper for the pools, classes on marketing...that sort of thing. Then I got sober and went back to college. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like Christmas and its surrounding days have been good for you. I sense your motivation and readiness for 2014. Thanks for passing it along to us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I meant to add that I like your rich blue background for your winter header.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I came back to read this entry a second time. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice. 2014 brings along a whole new world for me as well! Wish you a great new year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have prepared a fairly strict budget for 2014 and in order to stay with it, I must do laundry instead of simply purchasing new underwear when all the old is in the hamper:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely!
    I can't bring myself to take down our Christmas trees just yet. I enjoy the twinkling lights too much. And I need some kind of little pick me up to get me through the next few arctic days we have coming up. COLD!

    I hope 2014 finds you healthy and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post!
    I hope you and your loved ones have a New Year filled with peace, love, health, and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.