Saturday, February 08, 2014

Best Laid Plans

My daughter had taken time for a girls' get-away to Florida two winters before and came back just furious that the weather had not been warm and sunny each time.  She has limited leave and it requires lots of organization to plan a brief vacation with her girl friends away from family and career.   Goodness, they could not even use their swim suits!

I used to be like her.  Vacations were expensive in both time and money and infrequent, and when they did not work out to 80% perfection, I was dismayed.  Now that I am retired, I am thankful for the smallest things, such as feeling energetic enough on a vacation morning to take a brief walk.   I am thankful that Hubby is by my side with his enthusiasm for everything, even though I do sometimes find that exhausting  I am thankful that I usually see something new and different.  I am thankful that I can still take vacations!

This photo is our view from our room at the expensive Marco Island hotel on the early evening of our arrival.  A cold and foreboding sunset was leaving its footprint on the Gulf of Mexico.


Here was the view after breakfast that greeted us the next morning.  Notice how many tourists are enjoying the beach?  I pulled out the wind-breaker I had packed.

Cold and rainy weather chased us all over the state during the two-plus weeks we were there.  Mid-week we drove to the Atlantic side and while half the day was full of sunny warm weather, by mid-afternoon...


Still one must remember, that for beautiful sunsets you must have some clouds!

15 comments:

  1. I must commend you for your attitude. We have been to Vancouver twice. It rained a lot the first time, but we enjoyed it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got lucky when in Tucson this year for January as the weather was in the 70s but it's not always that way. I've seen it snowing in April down there. This week, our first renters got highs in the low 50s. People forget that it's still the northern hemisphere and unless someone is on the Equator, you can get cold weather almost anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marco Island is such a beautiful place, it is a shame that the weather did not cooperate. However, you brought the right attitude with you and it sounds like you had a good time anyway.

    I have found that I as I have aged, I concentrate more on what I am grateful for and less on the annoyances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. appreciate what you get you know....there may be a day we cant take time to get away...and there is beauty to be found regardless...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some marvelous photographs. I just must do something special this summer as a retired person needing a good break from the chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, windbreaker and long sleeved T shirt when we go south. :)

    You hit it on the nail. I treasure every moment we can spend together even on vacations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to be adaptable. Lovely views though. Nice to have someone to get you going at times, I probably would have stuck my nose in a book in front of the window view.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't holiday traveled much in my life, and not for a few decades but cool, cloudy days were often referred to as "vacation weather" because of how they often turned out. Still, it's lovely to get away. I hope I still have a trip or two in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least the scenery was different from home and you got waited on in the hotels.
    Not a bad thing at all.
    These are gorgeous views, no wonder you enjoyed yourself even under greyish clouds.

    Thanks for enlightening me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's always something you can do on vacation that's different from at home, although bad weather isn't fun at any time that you want to be outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your attitude. As a retired person, I can take vacations here at home. When I travel I want to see and do and go and explore and experience new things. But we are used to changeable weather here and bathing suits are not not in our plans anyway. We always travel with rain coats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it looks like such a beautiful peaceful place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The drive from one coast of Florida to the other is a long one if I remember correctly.

    I hope your daughter was at least able to recharge her family and career batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marco Island looks a beautiful place for a vacation! What a lovely view from your room!
    Love the photo of the ocean, the waves and the birds over it.
    The sunset is gorgeous too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for reminding us to make the best of things. And that sunset truly has the Wow factor.
    Blessings from Dalamory
    www.freda.org.uk

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.