Thursday, August 28, 2014

What a Silly, Where is your happy human spirit?

I will be returning my little grandson to his parents tomorrow eve after taking care of him all week.  There are always food issues, but for the most part, he is a most amenable child.  We visited a reptile show, had a watergun fight, raced Lightning McQueen cars, did new puzzles and watched a few movies.  Hubby played his part and fortunately this little man likes us both equally.  But I am not slated to have time to breathe, read, photograph or write poetry yet.

I must plan for the weekend as I will have guests coming down the very next day.  I do not usually plan a Labor Day party.  I used to ask my daughter and her son, but they already had plans almost always, and we, trying to think of others, seemed to always be between neighbors, so no Labor Day picnic or BBQ was usually on the horizon. (I must be better about plans.)  Please note that I am ignoring the fact that we were not invited anywhere either!

Anyway, my brave  daughter-in-law has asked if she and my son can come down for the weekend.  They have invited themselves.  And I am glad they have, even though I am totally exhausted from my bad back and my grandson.  And I refuse to make them feel imposing and I will pretend this is the best weekend ever.  Another reason is because she is also (with prior request) bringing her best friend and that friend's boyfriend and I just love this couple!  They are struggling in their lives, but are the good people we all want as citizens.  I am really impressed that my daughter-in-law is brave enough to ask to come for the weekend.  I do not know if I would have been that upfront with my MIL, who was a gentle old soul, but did not live nearby

So this Saturday I am up early to clean a little and try to plan/shop for meals for the weekend.  This is the hardest, but I will try to keep it simple and just enjoy their young ideas and energy!  If I learn some new stuff I will certainly share.  Have a great Labor Day, because no matter what you do, you deserve to celebrate you labors.

20 comments:

  1. Do you get to celebrate Labor day when you are retired?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do enjoy simply! Wishing you a lovely time




    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never rains but it pours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless your heart.... Just be honest to your family.. IF you cannot do everything you 'want' to do --due to your back problem, just do what you can and relax and just enjoy the company.. They will ALL pitch in and help as long as you are honest about your situation and what you can do..... Bet it will all turn out great... THEN---after they leave, go to bed and sleep for about month... ha ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always think I want company to come, then grouse around with preparations and wonder what in the world I was thinking, and then somehow it all usually falls into place. I hope the visit goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your plans. Let us know how it goes.

    I'll be sharing mine if I have enough energy to type, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have had my nine and eleven year old grandchildren during the day this week as their mother prepares to teach for another school year. It hasn't all been easy either, as I work to get them to do something besides be on screens all day. I'll be posting about our week.
    then we have our big family picnic on Sunday in the island. That will be a post too, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When company comes, I work like the dickens to get everything clean and perfect. I always waste my time and nobody notices and when they leave (especially if there are children involved), the house is a mess again. Save your strength and buy ready-made from Costco and enjoy your company from a sitting down position.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guess you shall learn all about "labor" day. You know you are going to enjoy it but be very tired when it is over. I will sit quietly at home and listen to the cars towing boats going up and down the road in front of our house and seeing fireworks left over from July 4th, and hearing lots of loud music booming from the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you have a great week-end

    ReplyDelete
  11. We hope you do too. There are times I am grateful that I do not have a guest room. Then again, no guests means no visits...ever. One get's kind of isolated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do enjoy the energy of those young people, and don't be afraid to ask for some help if your are feeling exhausted. Hope it's a great weekend for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hopefully all that youthful energy will be contagious and help you recharge your batteries. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy your work and your play!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love having my grandkids here but a couple of days of inactivity usually follow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My grand daughter has now reached the stage (13) where she needs to alleviate the boredom of time with grandma by bringing a friend along. OMG, like, literally, sooolikeboring withoutlikefriendsthat like literallyspeakthesamelikelanguage. OHMYGOD.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ah i hope that the weekend goes wonderful for you...and that you can make them all feel loved and cared for -- hey maybe you can get into a watergun fight with them too...smiles....do take time to breathe though....smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too had grandchild time this week and came away from it so happy and blessed, but exhausted. You must be a very good mother-in-law if your DIL feels that comfortable with you. Looking forward to hearing what you learn from the young 'uns. Happy Labor Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hus to bravo you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope it was a lovely weekend despite your discomfort. And that you let them know how you're feeling so that they could help out as much as possible. Even more importantly, I hope you're feeling better by now.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.