Friday, September 12, 2014

Our Heroes

I just finished reading the autobiography titled My Beloved World (2013) by Justice Sonia Maria Sotomayor.  As the 111th appointment and only the third woman and the first of Hispanic heritage to the Supreme Court she is one of the most interesting and groundbreaking women (people) in the justice system.  Her biography left me much more comfortable about our Supreme Court than I have been in ages with those old white dudes that sit next to her in their robes and their parochial minds and their lack of insight into how this world is changing.

Her life is rich and her own exploration of her life was marvelous.  She has such insight and is so willing to admit her errors and review her philosophy as she lives her life.  She is both an everywoman and a genius at the same time.  She is that woman you wanted for a sister or best friend.  She dances between poverty in Puerto Rico and touring with the Fendis in Italy and does not miss a step.

Lest you think I admire her because she is a liberal justice, please note, Sotomayor's circuit court rulings led to her being considered a political centrist by the ABA Journal.  Also A Congressional Research Service analysis found that "Sotomayor's rulings defied easy ideological categorization, but did show an adherence to precedent and an avoidance of overstepping the circuit court's judicial role."  Yet, when you read her biography you wonder at her ability to not get an ulcer when the Supreme Court ruled recently against affirmative action because we not longer need it!!  I am looking forward to her role on this court in the coming decade.

I recommend this biography to anyone who is interested in learning who makes up our citizens and who loves this crazy quilt of different cultures that makes us the nation we are today.

I understand there is a new biography on her and I will have to research that.

12 comments:

  1. The most important point is that she was privileged to attend the same school that I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel encouraged too then. Maybe Hillary will win the next presidency and appoint someone else that can further balance the conservative of late. Can you imagine what Justice Clarence Thomas's memoir would be like compared to hers? I guess I think he is the most lame of the group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this recommendation. I see the book on my library shelf and wonder should I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it comes to the Supreme Court we citizens can use all the optimism we can get. I'll be sure to check this book out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You pointed out some good things to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am learning to appreciate non fiction. This looks like one to add to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's almost always fascinating to learn how someone came to have the positions they take.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds truly wonderful. Thanksfor the reccomendation. I'll grab it when it comes by me at the store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is one example of why it matters who we elect as a president despite how some might be disappointed in what we have-- those of a progressive mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds good. Added to my list. Also - the biography is:

    Sonia Sotomayer: The True American Dream by Antonia Felix (I was not able to get that one, yet)

    Antonia also wrote the biography, Condi: The Condoleezza Rice story.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.