Thursday, October 30, 2014

The New Recipe for CRABapple Pie??

50 apples for $14.00?  That sounds like a deal.  Mix and match even?  I could choose as many as I wanted from the Virginia gold bin, the Winesap bin, the golden delicious bin, the Stayman bin, the Roma bin, the York apples bin and the granny smith bin.  There may have been a few more bins, but I had already filled my half bushel paper sack and was studying the shiny reds, peach blushes and yellows with anticipation as I carried them to the wooden counter just beside a small barn.

Since I grew up in a family where money was scarce, bargains on foods tend to catch my eye and the fall abundance of apples always calls to me.  We drive three hours West in a hybrid car and find a local orchard and then buy apples.  Some we eat before we get home and all the others I process and freeze for desserts.  We also were invited to walk the orchards up the steep hill, which after sitting for hours in a car, and with camera in hand, was the best offer I had been given all day.  Almost all of the apples had been picked from the trees, but there was still beauty to capture as the afternoon sun fell across the hillside.




Now, back to processing apples---but with a twist!  Stick with me here.  While the texture of a frozen apple is not as crisp once frozen, that fall apple flavor does remain.  We core them with an apple corer, peal them and then slice them into equal sizes keeping the species types apart just for our own preferences.  We immediately put them into a bowl of water and lemon juice to keep them from browning.  Our sweetest and crispest were the Winesaps and they seemed to brown the fastest as well, no matter how snappy we worked...chop chop.

When the particular  apple batch is are all done, I take out the slices from the huge bowl and let them drain in my hands before dumping a full pie serving amount into a freezer Ziplok bag labeled by apple type and date.  I add a pre -mixed mixture of cinnamon/nutmeg/allspice to taste, about half a cup of sugar or 1/4 brown and 1/4 white sugar together, and a little salt and a teaspoon or more of cornstarch depending on their juiciness.  I toss the slices a few times to coat them with the bag sealed.  Then, squeezing all the air out of the bags, I pop them into the freezer for winter desserts.

With 50 apples hubby and I got an assembly line going.  We were moving like a Japanese train on schedule, but my one glitch was that I had just cleaned out my pantry closet a few days before.  Shelves washed, items moved and reorganized, some items taken to the basement, others to give away.  A photo below showing a part of the closet and clearly illustrating how neat and organized it was!  All the bins were labeled!  The spices in pseudo-alphabetical order.  But a bit of a mistake because ... well, perhaps you can see in the second photo.



Yes, I used the jar on the right side.  I did not read the labels!!  Into the first 5 batches of pie filling went Old Bay crab spice! (Something those of us who steam crabs use tons of in the summer.)  Once I discovered my mistake by licking a finger I changed jars and into the last 6 batches went the cinnamon that I was supposed to add.  We labeled those freezer bags that had Old Bay spice because I am too cheap to throw this food out and figured I may find some way to use that mistake. (Maybe stuff apples into chicken or use with a pork roast?)

We decided to make a pie that very afternoon with the mistake spices (Old Bay) package...and much to our surprise, while it was not super good without the cinnamon, it was really quite delicious and just a tiny bit unusual.  But we each ate our entire piece of pie and we will certainly finish the rest of the pie!  In the future I will add the pie spices to those batches and perhaps another bit of fruit or nuts and top with butter bits.



Hubby just dumped the slices into a pre-made pie shell with some disdain after draining the juices which he felt might be too salty and then he watched it bake not anticipating an edible snack.  But we were both pleasantly surprised.

So I posted on FB that I am going to call this my "Crab Apple Pie."

15 comments:

  1. Tabor, I'm glad you added some description of how you freeze the apples. My SIL makes pies ahead and freezes them, so I'm sure the apples are just as good in the pie after freezing. So funny that you picked the wrong spice...sounds like something I'd do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I refuse to buy store-bought pies but am not very fond of standing around peeling apples.
    Yes, I know I'd still have to peel, but somehow doing it all at once is more palatable. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting and you never know what will work, I guess. We have several apple trees of different varieties and this was a bumper year as the freeze didn't come at the wrong time. We froze some but most we dried. As we have been driving south to Arizona, the dried apples have made for a great snack. We mixed the varieties so tart with sweet which for dried is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you may have come onto something with that *crab apple* pie filling. And yes, I think it just might work when stuffing chicken or pork chops, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thoughts of those "crab" apples and a pork roast made my mouth water, as well as the pies. MMmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh nooooo! I love that you went ahead and made an Old Bay pie: you have discovered a new recipe! A mixture of sweet and savory, I bet those slices would be good cooked alongside pork.
    Once, long ago, after a camping trip I dumped salt back into a sugar canister and then proceeded to make strawberry shortcake. Those strawberries were awful. Unfortunately I served it up to a neighbor before tasting it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never have tried a pie with the crab boil. I probably would have just rinsed off the apple slices and re-done them with the right spices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had a crab apple pie, but it does look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to freeze apples
    and you just reminded me :)
    Earlier today
    made another apple upside down
    cake. So easy and so good.
    Added walnuts this time and when
    cranberries are available going
    to add them also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have two mechanical apple peelers that attach to the table. You pop the apple onto the peeler and it removes the core then you turn the hand crank and it peels the apple. You need one of those. It is efficient and fun. My grandkids love to use them.

    Couldn't you have rinsed the crab spiced apples or would that have interrupted the entire freezing process?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's amazing what serendipity can cause -- a unique, new dessert twist!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lot of fun. Perhaps I might want to wash off the next few pie batches before baking. LOL So glad they were edible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got a great story and title out of it! I am very sensitive to taste and probably would have washed the "bad apples" off and started again (after liberal amounts of cursing). But it seems it worked to hedge your bets!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You got a great story and title out of it! I am very sensitive to taste and probably would have washed the "bad apples" off and started again (after liberal amounts of cursing). But it seems it worked to hedge your bets!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When we dried our apples in a small dehydrator, we didn't peel them. It made for a great snack and no storage issues. They also didn't get a flavoring added. Just the apples

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.