Sunday, October 19, 2014

Those First Steps

The best advice I got from my readers to improve my health was to walk.  It requires no special equipment and can be done almost anytime and anywhere.  I just read a recent study that revealed that the best way to lengthen our telomeres which lie at the ends of our chromosomes and keep us from aging was walking and standing...even better than actual exercise!

So two days ago I took a 7 and a half mile walk in the woods around a nearby artificial lake.  Yesterday I spent several hours wearing a weight vest as I cleaned house, vacuuming and mopping all the floors.

If you want to enjoy with me the beautiful walk I took,  go here.

14 comments:

  1. You are taking good care of yourself. The walk was absolutely beautiful. Nature has a healing effect of her own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good example of how to be healthy and beautiful photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice walk; nice photos. I, too, find those bikers kind of intrusive on the old railroad trail near us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good advise, I may give it a try...but not 7 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good advise, I may give it a try...but not 7 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those arm't first steps, those are called overcompensations. Two miles is good. Three is good. Seven is an awful lot for a start.

    I started walking again on the beach when I first got sober. 8/10th of a mile one way. At first I couldn't even do that. Then I grew able to do it three times back and forth. Later I got a job and was able to walk 3 miles to work, work all day, and take a bus home.

    I've let the leg, the artery, the hip, and the hand be excuses. I'm now back to walking as much as I can....short spurts. I'll let you know how I do. I do know that walking is the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walking is great but seven miles does sounds like a lot first off.. look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's an impressive first walk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire your determination to keep fit and in good health. Keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well you have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:03 AM

    The key is to keep moving! Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to follow my own advice and start walking now that the weather has cooled enough so I won't get heat stroke.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wise inspiration! I enjoyed with you such a beautiful walk.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.