Thursday, November 20, 2014

Cancel Those Vacation Plans as the Ship is Sinking--A Thursday 13

My universe is cracking!

This is my Thursday Thirteen, which I have not done in a long time, and which, unfortunately instead of a thankfulness list, is reduced to a reality to do list!  (As a background, before you read ahead, this house was completed in 2006 so she does not yet have that patina of charming old age.)

  1. Front door knob not turning easily and slipping on the catch and door can swing open--I am sure that is how that mouse got in!
  2. Large burner on range not auto-lighting - using a match
  3. Deck steps to back yard are sinking to one side or I am having too much wine
  4. West wall on garage is cracked near door - probably sinking
  5. A few inches of taping on front room ceiling (two stories up above my head) coming loose due to a nasty storm years ago
  6. Taping in guest bedroom ceiling coming loose now
  7. Gate not hooked up to electricity, waiting on budget ease to hire electrician as we have given up on the solar panel option
  8. Some smoke alarms need to be replaced in basement and top floor but cannot find plug-ins that match
  9. Wine cooler not working (Yes, I see the small violin you are playing.)
  10. Water pump has low pressure--called for repair yesterday.  Repairman came and fixed it in an hour.  We were told it could have cost $1900, but our repair was only $100.  (Thankfulness #1)
  11. Gutters need cleaning badly and I will not let hubby up on the ladder and it is not in the budget for right now
  12. Window in right guest bedroom does not close easily--so I no longer open it!
  13. Driveway pavement needs cracks filled AGAIN!

Next Thursday Thirteen will be a thankfulness theme...I promise!(Thankfulness #2  ease on the future budget is that most of the spring vacation has been pre-paid.)


Post Script. Regarding Blogger stats:  My  most visited post (2394 visits) was this Thursday Thirteen back in September 2012... in case you are curious.

24 comments:

  1. Oh my. You made me start thinking about myself writing a list of my house woes. That just scares the bejesus out of me. Maybe next week.

    I just got my car in the garage (of course after the heavy snowfall)after two years of parking it outside at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I type I can see the discoloration on my office ceiling. It's been there since a roof leak 3 years ago. Bad news - it has a much larger twin in the living room. Good news - we now have a new roof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I think there are pluses to renting. When owning a home, there is always something that has to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your list. So glad to see that your repair was only a fraction of the estimate...what's with that?! Always a good idea to make a list. I'm like you and have a good portion of next summer's vacation paid in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like what happened when we got down here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I started writing a list of all the crap that needs doing in this old house I'd be here until Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure my list would have way more than 13 items if I decided to sit down and make one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When it comes to making a list of house problems, I bury my head in the cheap shag carpet in the basement--replacing that nasty rug should be on my list, if I ever make one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are smart not to let your husband climb ladders. I know a couple of sad tales. I don't dare climb ladders myself.
    This list has me thinking about all the work that needs doing around the house,and it isn't even 6 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to my world...and my house is much older AND I stupidly have two houses. Really, I have to sit myself down one of these days and assess the options.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got rid of at least half of these problems leaving a 100+ yo home for a townhouse.

    I do miss that old house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the joys of homeownership. I sold my house also and bought a condo. Shrank the list from large to tiny by comparison. Miss my backyard even tho' I couldn't mow or rake it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My sympathy on all of them. That's why i tell people, even though we've been married almost 30 years, that my kids come from a broken home, everything is broken in it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Honestly, seems like a lot to be going wrong in a house if it's only eight years old. But I agree ... stay off the ladder, get the wine cooler fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7:04 PM

    I have a friend, a retired latin teacher, who just sold her house. She has a nice new apartment and says she will never own a home again. Food for thought.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't feel bad- There's a mouse in my upstairs kitchen! N a lazy cat who doesn't get him, tho I feed it every day in one spot, she just watches!
    I need to pay some one for the gutters too- So cold out tho- Plus front steps cement to do again- That's almost my list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes---I hear you... Maintaining our homes can get expensive... BUT--yours is fairly new. Our home was built about 1985 ---and we truly haven't had too many problems with it (other than normal maintenance--like a new roof, new paint job, new deck, etc.... ha

    BUT--even with that long list, we all do have so much to be THANKFUL for.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a lot of woe for a house only eight years old.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seems like your house is "settling in." Nothing seems too serious, but that's quite a long list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness, you mean you only have 13?? LOL Sorry for my commenting absence. I think I'm back at it now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh... housework seems to be unending, isnt it?

    www.volatilespirits.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. #1,5,ans 6: Hire a cheapie handyman or undocumented immigrant. You may have to have them do the gutters too.

    I am so sorry that you seem to be sliding into the lake at a snails pace. I hope your slab or foundation isn't cracking. Our slab is, and almost every room is sliding toward the ocean here. That's a serious problem. No wine cooler. I already did that at any temperature.. LOL

    Hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are not having too much wine.

    The steps ARE sinking.

    Sometimes I think David and I would be better off renting. Let the landlord fix and pay for the repair.

    Sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh dear. Now I'm thinking of all the things I should be doing instead of drinking coffee and reading blogs. I still haven't taken my screens off the windows yet and we had a snowstorm! Good grief!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.