Saturday, November 01, 2014

The Silliness of Life and Getting to Know the Locals

As I wrote earlier, about our recent trip to Ireland, our fellow travelers made most of the reservations and selected most of the places we would visit.  We had no problem with this, even though we had never visited the Emerald Isle, because we have been blessed with tons of travel and lots of adventures in our life, and this was a rare trip for them.

You may remember that hubby had a fall from a ladder a few weeks prior to this trip, and with his compromised neck issues, I was a bit concerned about how he would feel after such a long flight.  Therefore, we went a day earlier than everyone else and checked into a country retreat just outside Dublin to get used to driving on the "wrong" side of the roads and the difference in an earlier time zone.  I must admit that I did not spend hours searching for a perfect and inexpensive place to stay.  It was for only one night, and our friends had already reserved all reasonable places for the rest of the trip, etc.  I found a place with an afternoon tea garden and a kitchen garden and a long history for 130 Euro for the one night breakfast included which translates to about 162.00 dollars in the US.  Some would say it was too much, but I found it acceptable. It was in Wicklow County which is a beautiful area and I wish we had had more time to explore more than just a few hours in this area where a number of well-known movies have been made because of its beauty.

I came across a website for this Hunter's Hotel in Wicklow County  which is about 20 minutes outside of Dublin.  The photos were very inviting, of course.  Built originally in 1650 as a forge, it was then converted to an Inn that had been owned by a wealthy family in the 18th Century and had a long and colorful history of owners following that.  Now Europeans might read through this and think cold, damp, dark and old.  I thought 'romantic escape.'  I thought 'nostalgic dream.'  Mel Gibson and Daniel Day Lewis have stayed at this hotel!  It sits out in the middle of nowhere and we almost could not find it on our tracker.  Signs in rural areas can be hidden in Ireland.



The hotel was mostly what I had expected in a creaky old way and the furniture definitely showed a history.   It was a bit of a hodge podge in decor, and when I showed my travel photos, my daughter said it looked like staying a Great Old Aunt Somebody's place.  She has no sense of history or atmosphere.  I felt right at home!  We had a glass of wine in the beautiful garden out back while waiting for our room to be ready.


At dinner that evening I observed at the nearby table two rather healthy-looking women in their mid-fifties that could have been Lesbian hikers in a Hercule Poirot story discuss plant species and birds that they had seen in a sharp and efficient conversation over their meal.  They did not mention that they had come across a body in the woods, though.  Later I sat in the lounge just across from an elderly British couple after our evening white tablecloth gourmet dinner and closed my eyes and entered an Agatha Christie mystery as I eves dropped on their gentle conversation about people they knew and gossip they shared as only elderly Brits can carry off.

After a wonderful breakfast the next day I walked in the kitchen garden and met a lovely bubbly Irish lady about 55 who was an artist and explained that she was known for her paintings of naked men.  She was a plump lady wearing a lovely silky flowered dress with a small fancy hat perched on her blonde head.  As the small talk progressed she was very willing to share her recent divorce issues after a long time marriage, her husband's awfulness in the process, and the new art studio and business which she had expanded with her two sons.  She also indicated how she could certainly be willing to paint my husband as he was a good body shape!  Her grandchild had been Baptized that very morning and that is why the family was all there to all have a late breakfast together.


When our other group of travelers arrived in Dublin and joined us later to head further south they asked if the hotel could fix a late breakfast for the four of them.  The hotel kitchen which is only open very specific hours was most generous in accommodating them with both a hot and cold breakfast.  Later they toured the gardens while we checked out and they met a landscape expert whose house was being fumigated while he stayed at the hotel.  They were able to get lots of information on all the exotic plants we might see and also some good places to visit on the island and how to avoid a few tourist traps.  All in all the casual elegance of this place was a perfect place to start our Ireland adventure.

My next post ... a soap opera addiction.

16 comments:

  1. Funny on the lady who paints nude men. I did that for a period of time when I was into oil painting. I love the lines of the male body, have done a lot of nude photography too.

    My problem in terms of my creativity has always been in being outside the pale and nude men in art definitely is where I live-- Nude sculptures of men were also a step too far but I have a lot of them ;).

    How she got to be well-known for hers is a credit to her ability to market (or where she lives) as generally at least in the states where I live/travel, nude males don't make it into galleries. Often not nude women either-- the paintings of them that is ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a pumpkin in that garden or another kind of squash. It looks beautiful but strange all by itself.

    You have too great at time becoming an eavesdropping voyeur in your travels.

    I too have had limited fame for nude art. Much of my marker art that was sold had been commissioned by women who gave me photos of themselves fully clothed and I then drew them naked in their same pose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You remind me of my Little Girl. When she travels, she makes friends with everyone and hears and notices everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely start to my day here. What a wonderful day. I'll type more later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like my sort of place, although I wouldn't like that cost. I wonder if you were just lucky with the people watching/listening/talking to opportunities? On second thoughts they are probably always there for interested, friendly and observant people. I do enjoy your travel diaries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a wonderful place to stay and soak up the Irish countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post
    and on nude men
    guess their
    paintings do not interest
    this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting to know the locals can be really beneficial when one is traveling. So you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is no point to travel if you demand all the comforts of home. I love quirky places like that. And that you find quirky people there is an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks really nice. If and when I ever go back to Ireland, I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think half the charm of that place is the people you encountered.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just catching up on all your adventures. I would really have enjoyed your country inn experience. It is hard to understand what a place like that means unless you have been around a lot, as you obviously have. It's all about character.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like my kind of place... I would always choose old rather than new --when it comes to places like that. There IS something romantic about a place like that. Looks like you had a great FIRST day... Can't wait to hear more about your trip. How many were in your group?

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well this looks and sounds like the perfect place to immerse yourself. I'm glad you brought us along. It's lovely and charming.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You didn't go to Glendalough and St. Kevin's Monastery in the Wicklow Mountains? Well, you'll just have to go back now!

    I think we stayed at a hostel in Wicklow.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.