Monday, December 01, 2014

Wake-Up Call!

I did have a lovely Thanksgiving with both kids and their families.  I DID eat only 2 tablespoons of everything (heaping tablespoons) but this included turkey, gravy, dressing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, half a roll, roasted Brussel sprouts, broccoli cheese casserole, green bean casserole, and blue cheese pecan app spread on two crackers!  This is a lot of calories.  I also had a piece of pumpkin pie at the end of the meal!

While up at daughter's house my son-in-law mentioned he wondered if I could come back up on Saturday to take some family photos.  They did not have time this year to drive the four hours up to their friend's (the professional photographer) house and he wanted to get his annual family photo shoot done so that they could order Christmas cards.  (da-da-da-da-da)  That was my heart jumping a bit.  Son-in-law is Mr G-Q.  He is also very particular about the appearance of his family to the point where he gels his boys hair before they head out to school and makes them change if he does not like the outfit combination.  Talk about setting a high bar.

The professional photographer they use is great!  She really knows her stuff!  So, this hobbyist is going to have to up her game.  Taking photos of flowers and mountains and streams is not like taking photos of your loved ones that they want to send out to all their friends.

I tried to be calm going back up on Saturday afternoon with my best lens...not a portrait lens and my batteries charged and a tripod (which we never used).  I was so nervous I did not bring my back up camera. 

Before we got there I called and told them that they had to pick out the site near their neighborhood, mentioned we REALLY had to get going before I lost the late afternoon light, and checked over my camera for the millionth time to make sure I knew the settings.

We did get a great place with a bright red train cab and an old wood building for background.  I had less than an hour to shoot, five faces to get in focus and with the best expression on all and light changing every second or so as heavy clouds moved in across the sun.  Yes, you can shoot on cloudy days, but late afternoon sunshine on a winter afternoon is much better. 

100 shots (photo) later and I head home to work on my images on the computer.  This is a wake up call for me.  I see my strengths and weaknesses right from the start.  Composition is pretty good, I usually can see the problems with setting.  I still have trouble with DOF when using this lens.  Couple this with a moving three-year-old and no light deflectors or light discs or assistant and I had no idea how this was going to turn out.  Since I do not charge professional fees, they at least would be saving some money!

How did it go you might ask?  Well I am sending 31 images that I have photo-shopped just a bit to their dropbox site and we will see what they think.  If they like them, I might show you one or two.

18 comments:

  1. You worried enough to wear off any extra calories! I bet you got some good shots. They'll probably ask again next year, and you can use this as an excuse to pick up new gear. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't done a family shot for a few years but when we did, we always used time delay and somebody had to hurry up and get into the shot. I liked it and enjoyed having them but the kids weren't so fond of it. I'd love seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you have some winners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure they turned out really well, and with the added bonus of photoshop, which is an amazing tool, I bet they looked perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are brave to help out a fussy in-law! I am sure there are a few winners to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to seeing some of these photographs. I'm sure they're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, maybe we will get to see a couple of them! My daughter is working on her Christmas letter, and my hubby took a picture of the family that turned out just great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least they will like one, i'm sure. Probably more than one. You are your own biggest critic, as are most of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I do hope you'll show us!

    I'm glad you had an eatin' good time on Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to see them. And you give some hints and tips here that maybe might help me with my less than satisfying photos of family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very exciting. I am so hoping you will share some of the photos with us and I have every reason to believe your work will knock the socks off Mr. G-Q:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet the shots are great. (And "shots" would have been fun, too!)

    What a great opportunity for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. He sounds like a control freak, and you sound very brave. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos. I bet they are great. Very exciting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Tabor.. if you feel good enough about sending more than thirty images, you can be sure they're going to have a hard time choosing from the top twenty. I suspect that your photos are fantastic. And I also suspect that they don't read your blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Show us what ya got, please! I would think the photos are pretty darn good. They certainly can't complain about the cost...lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good grief! They got the pics for free so they had better be thankful. End of story! The in-law obviously already thinks you are talented otherwise he wouldn't have asked you for the favor. I bet he will be thrilled. If not, he can lump it. ;) jk
    We are always our own biggest critic. I can't wait to see your fabulous photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am sure you did fine,and the price was right.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.