Monday, January 26, 2015

The World Is Depressing Enough Without Chocolate


There is word of a major storm in the Northeast.  Newscasters salivated as they interviewed the snowplow drivers, the weather men/women, the mayors of major cities on the dangers ahead.  Three feet of snow is predicted in some places.  Winds of 60 miles per hour are predicted in other places creating deadly blizzards.  I do not know if I'd rather hear this news or the news of beheadings and terrorists across the land.  I know that I am tired of hearing who is running for the next election.  It seems that the first folks out of the gate get the money commitments and what they earn is more important than what they stand for, if anything.  (So absolutely thrilled to hear that both Sarah and Donald have thrown their hats into the ring.)

I was very sorry to learn that the Hersheys chocolate company had negotiated (bullied?) Cadbury into no longer being able to send their candy to our side of the pond!  Hershey chocolate is terrible stuff if you have eaten it.  Very sweet and not rich in flavor.  I wonder what other chocolates will be prevented from import now?  How will I live without good chocolate?  If I get cranky (crankier) you will know why.  As we approach Valentines Day and later Easter be aware of what you purchase!

Our weather yesterday was in the 40s with no wind, so hubby headed outside to get his exercise after finishing a novel he was reading.  He split a lot of wood as you can see in the photo, and if we lose power, our heatilator fireplace will keep a part of the house warm at the very least.  I truly think the storm will miss us once again.  Our luck has not run out in this new year regarding weather.

15 comments:

  1. Good luck with the storm missing you with its worst. We have plenty of wood here and a generator that can run the basics when power goes out-- which can happen without a snowstorm. I imagine the snow would be pretty. It's rather white here too but from fog-- day after day. Usually out here in our Coast Range valley, we get blue skies by afternoon but in the main valley, it's foggy all day. This is an odd winter with highs this week in the low 50s and no freezes at night. I can't say we've never had any like this before but this constant fog and no wind is unusual. Our beach this week-end had highs in low to mid 60s. We are lambing; so could not get down but that is special when it's like that at the Coast with no wind to speak of :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, no getting cranky, that's my gig.

    Yes, the weather dudes are licking there chops at this one. I enjoy a good snow storm, but this one may be more than i might like.

    Re elections, I am hoping for any candidate not named Bush or Clinton, not that I have anything against anyone with those names, it just seems like a monarchy when we keep electing from the same family.

    Hunker down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't actually eat that much chocolate and it's dark chocolate when I do but that is just wrong. maybe Hershey's should improve their product if they are afraid of competition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending good thoughts your way. Yes, it does look like a nasty one. Yes, I the hour in the morning and hour at night news hound will be cutting back. I was really sick to see the folks who were running. I'm really horrified about the terrorist news, and especially about all the young folks rushing off to join the Terrorists. It isn't like Franko's or the Royalists where everyone rushed off to join one side 0r the other.

    I've got a pile of books to read today and another surgeon visit tomorrow. I think I will read about making the news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh. We get local chocolate! So we don't care what Cadbury or Hershey do! Lucky we live Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We get the same crazy "end of the world" song and dance about the weather here during every hurricane season.

    It's awful that Hershey is being allowed to do this. What happened to competition and free enterprise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you have a stash of chocolate to help you weather the storm. I prefer dark chocolate, the darker the better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Understand all that you share.
    This one watches local and worldwide news in the evening.
    I stay concerned over grandchildren working in N.Y. and DC. So much on news is so sad.
    I eat a lot of chocolate, son sent me some really good dark - but seems bitter to me, hate to tell him but know it is healthier.
    So envious of your wood pile as memories surface of many years of keeping my fire going..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the "other" exotic flavor of vanilla myself, not chocolate, but they shouldn't be able to do that to Cadbury. P. S. I agree with joeh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Newscasters salivated" made me laugh out loud. They really do live for this, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I truly hope the weathermen's forecasts for this upcoming storm are wrong. As much as I love the east coast and especially Maine, I wouldn't want to be there during a bad storm - like the one they're predicting. But then, I guess the people there know how to prepare for them just as we used to do for hurricanes when we were growing up in New Orleans. As for chocolate... love dark chocolate!I especially like Lindt dark chocolate with sea salt... and Black and Green make a hazelnut and currant one that is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lake Champlain Chocolate!!!
    If I have to buy emergency chocolate in a grocery store, Dove wins over Hershey any day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hershey's Special Dark Nuggets with almonds are part of my daily diet. I like good chocolate but I'm not a chocolate snob. It must be dark though.
    I'll be thinking of all my eastern blog friends. hoping the storm is not as predicted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are far enough inland to be missing the storm here. And what's with Hersheys and Cadburys? Hopefully, we will still be able to find the latter here in the Great White North. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seriously? They're preventing Cadbury from coming here? I thought I saw Cadbury candies in Hawaii at the supermarket. I like Doves dark chocolate.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.