Thursday, February 12, 2015

Dripping Rainbow

( Another post that I drafted before I left for Florida.)

You can never tell where you might find a surprise such as a lovely rainbow unless you stop looking down and look up, even inside a building.  Below is a rainbow that I came across in the National Museum of the American Indian whose architecture itself is the primary work of art.  This building had a construction and design team which, of course, included our native Americans and an architectural team as well as many others.  There are so many details from the selection of the stone and rocks that were used in the building to the symbolism both outside and inside that the structure of the museum is a work of art in and of itself.  Acrylic prisms were installed in the high south wall and catch the sun's rays creating this light spectrum on the opposite part of the ceiling in early to late afternoon every day that the sun shines.  This changing light show reminds us of the sun and light that was important to the native tribes as it is to you and me, and it makes for an interesting photo.


I think of a river of color dripping through the levels of the ceiling when I study this photo.  I think that I should do some prism shopping on this trip to hang a light catcher in my southern window.

12 comments:

  1. we only had one day when we were in DC to see the museums. we spent a lot of it in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to DC since this museum opened. Time to schedule another trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic. This is a museum I would love to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so lovely! Yes, i think it would bring me a smile every day to have a rainbow indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prism shopping: What one does to enhance a rainbow electronically. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice capture. Sunlight through glass can produce all sorts of wonderful things to photograph. Have a great Valentine's day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been a long time since I have been to Washington, D.C. It is a great place to vacation with all to see and do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our granddaughter loved rainbows as a tiny girl, still does for that matter, so we hung crystals in the window of her house and also in the window at the Whidbey Island cabin so she could have rainbows. A few years back we bought a new front door that faces south. It has beveled glass, and when the sun shines through it, we get rainbows on the floor. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a beveled cut mirror over the sink that bends light from the rising morning sun, n some plastic n glass hanging cut beads with other decks attached in the southern windows that also throw little rainbows about during the day. Alas, we've had zero sunshine all week here!

    Then I have two different angled glass prisms from the old defunct Science Museum Store at the outlet Mall, which I play with sometimes in the desk drawer.
    Us grown-ups need our toys too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one museum I will have to visit one day. Thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that pic! Yes, I too would be smiling to have a rainbow indoors.

    Hope you are out of the cold by now! Tks for stopping by my blog. No, I don't think they release the alligators back into the wild. Where I took my children is a refuge/educational centre.

    Feeding sharks? Now that's just ridiculous!
    Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Magic! I'd rather wear a rainbow than camo!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.