Sunday, February 01, 2015

Sigh

Got in last night about 10:00 which is late for us.  We had an exhausting, fulfilling, challenging, fun,  and loving time taking care of the grandchildren.  As they grow older our relationship with them changes more.  The 9-year-old wants more time to himself and is less willing to sit and share or play games.  The 7-year-old has gone from playing family with me to playing college.  I still am relegated to the role of the year younger sister and do not get to pick my name in this game...I barely get to talk.  She is going to be the "interesting" one to raise as she is so different in interests and personality than my daughter and I.  The littlest one at 3 is nicely balanced in terms of time with us and time with his siblings and time on his own.  Other than having to get up once each night for the youngest who still has nightmares several times a week, the time with them was nice.

Hubby and I took Friday off while grandchildren were at school and hit more museums at the mall.  Maybe I will share photos later, but much of this touring art is hard to share.  So lucky to live near so many (19) free museums.  I did a lot of people watching on this trip.

My daughter and I are SARS (Super Anal-Retentive Sisters) and I really wanted such a list from her as was shown in the prior post.  I try to follow as much as I can, but do not kill myself.  I posted this list because it is such a contrast to my regular days where I can sit and read blogs in my PJs until 10:00 A.M.  Daughter is a gem, and if we totally ignored huge parts of the list she would be OK with that.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun, but eventful weekend with the grands. I had to go back and read your daughter's list... and laughed at all the instructions. She is very detailed. But I'm sure this is helpful. Good to have some special alone time with the grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, for one, won't complain if you post photographs of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to know the absolute rules when I have the grandkids. I try to cooperate with and augment parents for how they see things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you're glad you did it, and I bet you're glad to be done with it -- at least for now. Enjoy your pj time tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids spent a lot of time with Grandma and Grandpa when they were young, and it has paid off. They are teens and early 20's and still love and dearly respect Grandma and Grandpa, and love spending time with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No explanations needed on the list. It shows how organized she is - key when you have a houseful of kids. When we grand-sat last time I was impressed and grateful when my daughter prepared two crock-pot meals that I just had to crank up in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you can share that list, why is the art hard to share? And boy, that list is one of the best lists I've seen in ages.

    Yes, mam, no picture when I got back from the pool. It's fixed now...I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But do they have ipads and play Mindcraft? Gawd! I am constantly preparing myself for their changes that already show in which I am not the love of their day when I'm with it. Thank Gawd Liam still loves to wrestle which is where I sneak in all my kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to first go back and read your prior post so that I too could read the list. That is HILARIOUS!!! Only because I know I am similar to your daughter. When my kids were younger and Todd and I went away for the first time, leaving the grandparents in charge, I wrote the most detailed lists. Luckily, the grandmas were very understanding and didn't make fun of me at all. I'm getting a little better now but if the grandmas had to watch them during a school week it would be a whole other ballgame.
    My mom once showed me the list she left for her mother when my mom was going to the hospital with her 4th child. It was hilarious, explaining the most obvious things. Moms are funny. We have our routines and we STICK TO THEM. ;)

    Glad you are back home and able to relax and rest up again. Kids are an exhausting business. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.