Saturday, March 07, 2015

Hard Cold

Our return to the land of the frozen was dry but bitter. We waded through 6 inches of snow covered in ice to the front door and carried our gear ever so carefully.  By the next day a rain that originated with warm air high above us in the atmosphere fell through the frozen air and as it reached near our ground it became liquid ice and this is what we saw when we woke the next morning.


I put on my camouflage gear and winter boots and headed out early for just a sneak at what the river looked like.  The dock was wrapped like a silver package in a sheet of ice with a glitter dusting of snow and my concern for both my camera and my bones made me stop short of the edge where it hung over the water.  The nets in the left foreground are oyster floats.  I think the oysters are down in the mud right now, but I will have to ask hubby if these are just empty or set-asides. Other oyster farmers in the area are worried about their oyster stock in this frozen water.  The plastic owl leaning drunkenly below is supposed to chase away birds from leaving calling cards on the dock, and now askew, he is hardly looking intimidating.  The boat was pulled in late fall for some motor maintenance and sits on a trailer in the front yard and not on the boat lift below.  This finger of the river is frozen all the way out the day this photo was taken.  An unusual event, certainly.  This is as far as I was brave enough to walk.


13 comments:

  1. Sun to shine and melt in my area.
    All roads clear
    but not my road or drive.
    It will happen and Spring is around the corner.
    Hopefully this hard freeze
    took care of the beetles that attack my plants in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was quite the welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bitter arrival home, indeed.
    I envy you your ready access to oysters, even if they are oystercicles right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. no snow or ice but plenty cold. we had a sunny day yesterday, the first in well over a week. another today and then another week or more of more rain and overcast. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful and harsh weather. Winter has been so mild in E. WA that we hardly seem to be on the same planet with you. What a glittering world you live in this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We call that a silver thaw out here. Last winter we had some icicle weather, but this year it has barely frozen. The last few nights have been below freezing with days in the 60s. For my part of Oregon, this is very unusual. I live on a creek but it is too fast moving to freeze over even on the winters where we have enough days in a row to freeze any standing water. It seems like it'd be neat to live in an estuary for all the potential of food. I never get tempted by living on the ocean itself but estuaries are something else with their tidal changes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walking on that dock is cold wet accident waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Old Man Winter is angry because his time is over again for the year, and he's yelling back for all he is worth as he leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That first photo is beautiful but it makes me shiver.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ice storms - as we call frozen rain - are the worst. But them do leave a kind of awful beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous photograph and description - just reminds me how important it is to take every opportunity to see the best in things. Every Blessing www.freda.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. If the snow is gone and the ice is here, can spring be far behind?

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.