Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Icons

I find my reaction to iconic landmarks/art varies over the years as I get my chance to see them.  I was overwhelmed when I first saw the pyramids in Egypt and my knees trembled, but I was also still in my 30s and a newbie to the world.  Seeing the temple of Borobudur in Indonesia was impressive and sad understanding how religious zealotry never wins in its path of destruction over something so ancient.  Seeing the paintings in Uffizi in Florence brought tears to my eyes in inspiration as these were the first really classic works of art I had seen up close.  Yet, the older I become, the more jaded I guess I get, but if you are at a place for the first time with no certainty of returning, you have to see the icons.  I was certainly excited to see the Eiffel Tower, but I also realized I may not be as impressed as I had hoped.  It was crowded, very crowded, with long lines buying tickets to go to the first level or buying more expensive tickets to go to the very top---and yes, you can walk it for free!  With the global terrorism permeating all that we touch, there were lots of guards and security gates and bag checks.  This is one reason I went to the top.  Who can imagine what idiot religious zealot would damage this structure in such a way that it would be closed for some time to come!  We were in line most of an hour, but the wait was worth it. (Click on photos for a closer experience.)


I used to think 1950's culture and Audrey Hepburn romances, etc. when I saw photos of this structure.


The reality is tired and bored guards waiting to go through our stuff, but a very festive mood among the crowd including one rather portly teenage French boy dressed in black slacks, white shirt, beret and fake mustache with artistic easel in hand---but I failed to get a photo. "After Gustave Eiffel experiments in the field of meteorology, he began to look at the effects of wind and air resistance, the science that would later be termed aerodynamics, which has become a large part of both military and commercial aviation as well as rocket technology. Gustave Eiffel imagined an automatic device sliding along a cable that was stretched between the ground and the second floor of the Eiffel Tower."


This is a rather handsome bust of the famous architect.  "The architect, Gustave Eiffel, an innovator in iron design, had worked previously on bridges, the west train station in Budapest and the framework for the Statue of Liberty. He watched his biggest project to date go up like a gigantic work of Lego: 18,038 pieces of iron were fitted together with 2.5 million rivets by more than 100 workmen who functioned almost like acrobats and stuntmen. Not one man lost his life during the construction."


Long lines waited ahead to ride the last elevator to the top if you purchased the more expensive ticket which we did.

...But what a view!!   And it reminds me, as it should, of Washington D.C.


Above you can see the Left and Right banks of the Seine.  Do not ask me which was which.  The river is not very clean in appearance, but there were no smells.  We were high enough to see the curve of the earth.

With binoculars you could watch a soccer game, although why so many are on the field I do not know!


The boat in the photo below moving in the center was the size of our cruise vessel and you can see how sometimes the height of the river closes the cruises that cannot pass under bridges and you must go by bus.



And, as in any good tourist place, there are many wanting to take your money in exchange for souvenirs.  These folks appeared to be from North Africa...Algerians?

This was one of my favorite views as I love that butt!!  Yes, I am getting weird in my old age.

And, of course one must have a romantic photo.  A quick and data filled video on the construction of this tower can be found at this link that follows next.  (http://www.history.com/topics/eiffel-tower)

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful and love the photos from the top. I didn't know much about its construction. My only story from friends was one who had her pack snatched there with all her ID in it :(. What amazes me with Paris, and in all the photos I have seen of it, is so few skyscrapers which makes the city seem more accessible unlike most American cities where it's all up. I see though in one of your photos a skyscraper in the distance. Hope it's not a sign of things to come. I am not a fan of tower cities although I understand why it is that way often with limited space for structures. Downtown Portland is like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very impressive. especially being high enough to see the curve of the earth. Paris seems to be very densely packed with old buildings, no green spaces. is there a more modern section of Paris?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures. Nowadays when viewing the wonders of our world, I feel blessed that at my age I am able to travel and enjoy the sites. And I probably appreciate everything more than i would have decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I scrolled through pictures before reading and was also attracted to the butt shot. I thought it was wisdom that was supposed to come with age, not wierdness. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did not wait in the long lines when we were there. Maybe we should have. But I was very impressed just walking under it! We did climb up to the top of the Arch de Triumph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awsome travel log pics n descriptions! The curve of the Earth view sounds awesome! Along with the nude statue view, n lights! Lucky you being there in person... Thanks for the guided tour

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think because it's taken me so long to see some of the wonders of the world, I appreciate them more. I don't even feel silly when I stand and cry at magnificent sights I've heard about all my life and finally get to see. Thanks so much for your tower shots. I haven't seen many from the top, they sure are impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made this common theme (for some but not me) very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is too beautiful to be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We went in 1997 and didn't have too long a wait, but we only went at night. I wish we went during the day after seeing your photos. I'm loving your travel posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that rear end angle! I fell to the floor "floored" the first time I saw whales on a whale watch tour. More recently, seeing an Andrew Wyeth exhibit in DC brought tears to my eyes. I have seen the Eiffel Tower but I think it went over my head (pun intended). I was only about 21 and was in Paris with barely any money and didn't know you could walk up for free.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm late reading this, and I do apologize. Centered in the river shot is one of my favorite buildings in Paris...the Palais du Tokyo. Today it is used for modern art exhibits, but when we visited it held Water Lilies. Yes, since I am an architectural nut, I love the Eiffel Tower. What I didn't know was that it contained all that pure color against the ugly brown/grey of the tower itself. Bright red and really bright yellows on the elevator and stairs. The colors astounded me. We were there in 2001, and there was no security anywhere....no barrier.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Had to follow Colleen's link. My how things have changed in 20-some years. While the Eiffel Tower was busy when friends and I were there, there wasn't as much security and no baggage check. The view from the top is definitely worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! This whole time I've been absent fromthe internet, you've been in France. I see that I have some catching up to do. We were in Paris a few years back, right when the dollar/euro rate was at its worst. We stayed in a cheap part of town and had a blast. I don't know why but we never got around to visiting the Eiffel Tower.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.