Sunday, June 07, 2015

People---Part 1

The next few posts are about the people.  Without that ingredient, travel becomes solid food without wine or dessert.  The first group of people we dealt with on a daily basis were the Viking crew members.  These people are endlessly polite, happy, caring, and even understand English on a basic level.  Their wages are unknown to me, but since staff attitude is one of the primary ingredients that allows Viking to charge so much for their cruises, I am guessing that is why passengers are encouraged to add a generous tip.  Staff treat you as if they depend upon you, and perhaps, they do!   In 2015 Viking (which is Swiss) announced it was going to change all pay to Euros which resulted in a 13% pay cut.  They are blaming this on the minimum wage law in Germany which includes staff on vessels.  Odd since most of the income comes in pounds or U.S. dollars!  I did not know about this until I returned and did some research.  I would not have changed my purchase, though, I am considering writing a letter.

This sweet lady worked behind the desk and we later found she was married to the Chef, who himself was a handful!  


Here is her husband guiding us through an oyster tasting.
Viking is based in Basil and handles 40 river vessels and 2,000 staff.  They are now adding ocean vessels to the mix (I will most likely never take one of those as I hate big cruise ships). I do know that the upper level staff work about 3 months on and then 2 or 3 weeks off.  They are on 24 hour call, so eventually need such a break.  I am guessing it is unpaid leave?  But I do not know.  Higher level staff are paid decent wages, it is those that work in the bowels of the ship, which are of concern to us all.

Think about having a job where you must be polite to stupid elderly Americans that forget what you told them, do not read their brochure and booklets carefully, assume they can walk cobbled streets and in some cases (a future post) are privileged enough to feel that staff should behave as personal servants expecting perfection and in other cases (perhaps a future post) drink too much and miss the boat.  These staff earn it!

During one of our mooring experiences I saw the woman crew member rushing off and decided to follow and get pictures.  These are for Mage who loves the operations on ships.  This gal (no spring chicken) tried twice to throw the bow line over the dock pipe without a using any pole.  Photos taken from inside the terrace room windows!




She threw twice and failed to capture both side hooks on the mooring bollard.  Immediately the big "guy" shows up to assist.  They seemed to be speaking in German.  He took the rope from her with an air of confidence.



I am sure he thought he was going to do it better than she, but after four failed attempts he looked up and smiled at me and I politely quit taking photos and went back to my wine.  We must have eventually gotten docked correctly as we soon disembarked for our afternoon tour.

Next a post on other people.


14 comments:

  1. I am sure that cruise ship employees depend very much on tips. Viking charges more for happy, smiling staff and then don't pay the staff well? I am sure that is "incentive" to be ever so polite in hopes of good tips, but perhaps corporate bigwigs could consider that workers might be happy and polite if they were assured a good wage.
    I have never been on a cruise and don't really see one in my future. I did go to one of those all-inclusive resorts in Mexico. The staff there was hired on a thirty day basis. Personally, that would induce anxiety, not polite good cheer, but I guess people do what they have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone who works mostly for tips concerns me -- i know it's so easy for people to look the other way and not be generous. It's one reason i can't look the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a little tough to bear from my armchair. You like to think that the world is fair, but it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beret makes me want to read poetry and the chef's hat makes me want to eat French pastry. I don't want to work on a boat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always impressed with the endless patience and friendliness of cruise ship people. You're right in that they must have to contend with a lot of thoughtless travelers. I'm glad you met such wonderful people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure they must be thankful for tourists such as yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOndering...if one of them blogged, how would they describe it all! Nothing is more interesting than reading about people, their quirks, shades and uniqueness

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems that working on a boat would be fun but I imagine it's just like any other job after a while...a job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh lovely. LOL Yes, they do depend on their tips. Yes, too, you would enjoy sailing on their new cruise ships.

    http://maritimematters.com/2015/06/viking-star-trek-maiden-voyager-part-three/

    Here's a link to my friend Peter's reviews of the Viking Star. At the bottom of the articl are links from her christening on. She's one of the smallest ships around, and the company is very proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh lovely. LOL Yes, they do depend on their tips. Yes, too, you would enjoy sailing on their new cruise ships.

    http://maritimematters.com/2015/06/viking-star-trek-maiden-voyager-part-three/

    Here's a link to my friend Peter's reviews of the Viking Star. At the bottom of the articl are links from her christening on. She's one of the smallest ships around, and the company is very proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too funny. These Viking Cruises intrigue me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And....I forgot to say something about the Normandy beaches. Those are very moving photos. Thank you for posting them.

    Ships: She's not a new ship. Did you read peters article? HAL has ships of that size too, and I hope you are going to Alaska in one of their smaller boats. We did, and it made the experience more intimate. I don't like the bigger ships at all for all the same reasons you don't like them. For us on our very limited budget, they are cheap. Very.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have a Viking cruise thru the Cape Cod Canal here- Not very glamorous at all- just a few hours, n everyone drinks booze...
    No oysters for me thanks. I'd prob starve on that trip!
    I love it when the recsue guy can't either!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.