Sunday, July 12, 2015

Dinner at My House

I am fortunate in that my husband likes to cook.  He is very good at making sure a steak or piece of fish is not overcooked...both of which require different attention.  The only thing he overcooks is scrambled eggs, but he likes them that way!  He also likes to make sauces and use spices and has a few stir fry Thai dishes he has developed.   He is an intense cook because he really does not cook  often enough to be a casual cook.

While I also like to cook, and am the primary chef in the house, I try to step back now and again to give him an opportunity to find his creative talents.

We finally caught some perch for bait the other day and were able to bait our crab traps appropriately to FINALLY catch blue crabs.  We did not get a lot, but were able to steam five big crabs for dinner.  Hubby was excited and so I asked if he would like cook dinner while I continued to photograph with my new tripod (my old one broke!)

He was excited.  We had our first harvest of eggplant, there was a bunch of lemon basil growing, blueberries on the vine, etc. etc.

I had forgotten that as a cook he gets easily distracted by reading a recipe or two or 40 for ideas, spending extensive time meditatively harvesting in the garden and then beginning the sauce or two!  An hour before we usually eat dinner he had a pound of lemon basil in the sink being washed.  A pound!  I am a medium fan of  lemon basil, preferring Italian, or red or many of the others, but he likes it.  And lemon basil was the only basil that had not been eaten to the ground by a rabbit or ground hog in my un-fenced herb bed.  Yes, I know!  Basil!  Never eaten before in my herb bed, but with the tons of rain, perhaps it is less pungent to the animals.

There was lots of chopping and mashing and slicing and dicing and steaming in the kitchen.  I  begged him to use one pesto recipe if he was going to try to make a pesto after he asked if he should  use sugar in it.   So there was walking back and forth studying the cook book and several thousand trips to the pantry.

While dinner was late we did have steamed crabs with a lime butter sauce, fried eggplant with a lemon pesto basil sauce, corn on the cob and freshly sliced cucumbers as our salad.  The pesto was a little strong in lemon basil, but complimented the gentle nutty flavor  of  fried eggplant nicely.  Crab is always good and the rest of the veggies were a nice change from the rich and spicy foods.

My payment for this good dinner was about an hour of cleaning a kitchen that looked as if six chefs had prepared some banquet and then left in a hurry.  I clean as I cook.  Men do not usually do that.  They just move to the next clean counter and begin again.  The counter was covered in tiny green  leaves, oily puddles, the floor in tiny garlic skins, the sink in corn husks and there were measuring cups and bowls everywhere.  But I stuck to my guns and worked off those calories nicely as I returned the kitchen to its former glory to use another day.



17 comments:

  1. My hubby used to love to cook, but unfortunately that phase has passed. However, he likes to clean up and I am very grateful that when I make my messes, he is right behind me with that spray bottle and broom.

    Your dinner sounded wonderful, but like you, I would have rathered the common basil for pesto rather than the lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After decades of being the cook, I decided that I was done with it. Now the husband is the cook. it was always an adventure but over the years he's gotten pretty good. and I do the dishes. like you I clean as I go. sometimes he will apologize for the mess in the kitchen. when we were kids our parents and their best friends got into gourmet cooking which they would do on Sundays. we hated Sundays because after they spent all afternoon trashing the kitchen, us kids had to do the clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mostly just grill, and I also like my scrambled eggs done well.

    If those are Chesapeake perch, they make delicious breakfast fish pan fried, and the heads will still catch crabs in the trap.

    We used to catch crabs by the bushel with a trot line where my folks retired to. I liked steamed blue claws, but only one or two. By brothers could eat a dozen or more.

    Now you've made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dinner sounds delicious. My husband never ever cooks, but I think that's my fault for setting certain guidlines in the beginning of our relationship. Once in awhile, I can get him to cook breakfast and he does a much better job with eggs than I do. Maybe in time we'll switch roles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so lucky to have a husband who likes to cook. I don't enjoy doing it and Art doesn't mind. Thank goodness my mother enjoys it. Your meals sound so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMM, crab and fresh vegetables. I do love summer eating...even when I have to cook it all myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweetie was a chef, and will sometimes cook, but he's learned to clean as he goes along. He had to, because i told him that if i have to both cook and clean up when i fix his meals, he cannot just cook and leave the mess for me. He now knows how to cook "neatly", so to speak. If only Bigger Girl would learn that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs. Chatterbox prefers my cooking to hers, and occasionally I'll cook something. I guess I'm the odd duck because I clean up as I go so there aren't pots and pans to clean when I'm done. This helps make up for my other bad habits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm more like a man in the kitchen, not with the recipe but in that I don't clean as I go. I'm a messy cook but even worse than that, I would be hanging all over my husband, don't trust his culinary senses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fortunate you are to have a husband who cooks. I did laugh at your description of the kitchen by the time he'd finished. Guess there's always a price to pay. Your meal sounds pretty darn good to me. I love crab.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dinner really sounds delicious. I love crabs! We ate them a lot at home in Louisiana. I don't cook them here in Texas. And I love to cook... much more so now that we're retired and I can take my time in the kitchen. DH will cook occasionally and he does well. He specializes in certain dishes like Creole Red Beans and Rice and Stuffed eggplant. He also makes a killer cheesecake! And lucky for me, he does clean up after himself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lately my husband does almost all of the cooking. He is good at cleaning up also. I am happy he likes doing it as I don't anymore-- except in rare situations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have to spend so much time in the kitchen and yet are not supposed to gain weight.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds delicious!
    And you're right. Men are messy cooks. My hubby is the same way. But I am thankful that he likes to cook (grill).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm very female in my cooking habits - I always clean as I go along. But my son makes up for my un-masculine habits. He can even spread pans and chopping boards onto the floor and end up moving the last stages of cooking into the dining room. Aaaagh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We both cook, but I am a strict recipe guy ... although I sometimes have problems even then.

    As for scrambled eggs, Sue also likes them overcooked. I just don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bravo. I am so proud of you. Hurrah, hurrah.
    Yes, I am sitting here shaking my head. I used to cook like that. Ornate dinners meant ornate messes. I cooked my way through my first four years of college for a retired judge and his crazy wife. While I was at it, I cooked for crowds at our house at the same time. I think I overcooked myself. I still have a whole bookcase filled with cookbooks I love to read. I love to eat, but I rarely cook anything beyond a fancy salad now.

    G is left to do the proteins, I do the veggies. I'd love a Bearnaise or two, but I haven't seen a fancy sauce in years.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.