Thursday, August 27, 2015

Goodbye




I have "met" so many bloggers over the years.  Some are very open and sharing and I learn far more about their lives/loves than I would upon meeting them in real life and seeing them over time.  Others touch me because of their talent either with words or with photography or art.  Upon retirement I ventured into blogging because of my love of words and then slowly my love of photography took emphasis.  I stumbled across Carolyn Morgan's Blog after she commented on one of my photos and when I went to her blog I was impressed by the clear-eyed focus and gentle love of the outdoors which was represented in her expertly taken photos. 

She stopped blogging and I lost track of her, as we all do, until one day I found her on Facebook and befriended her where she posted a few photos.  Then she stopped posting altogether as sometimes happens with our digital friends.  They get bored, are going through divorce, are fighting an illness that requires all their focus, or no longer get any sustenance from their virtual readers.  Carolyn lost her battle with cancer a while back.  Although I never knew her, her talent touched me.  Her love of photography was something I understood. 

I have lost many, many bloggers since I have ventured out into this digital space. I could have predicted that over decades some would leave this digital space in death, but I am always shocked at how it touches me and pains me when they are gone. 

17 comments:

  1. It amazing how close you can get to people you have never met in real life. But you do really get to know people through their writing.
    I am sorry to hear about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is what I don't like about blogging, losing friends and sometimes never knowing what happened. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Understand,
    we become close and never have met.
    Have lost one online friend
    who passed away a year ago, still miss her.
    Several just stop,
    I will have someone in family post
    if I just stop or am gone from the planet.
    Think we should do this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogging has been a most interesting venture. I realize those who read my blog may know me better than the people in my everyday life. Has been fun to meet some of them in my travels as well. And, having lost my favorite blogger, my mom, was most difficult.

    I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know her but have also had more than a few who I got to know through blogging, and who died, some very abruptly and shockingly. It is not easier than the ones we know casually through our so-called real lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is fascinating how we connect. The people i get together with each fall are those i met online, and are now some of the best friends i have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have lost a few to the reaper as well. And in general, one's blogging circle changes over the years as people move on to other pursuits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each day that I get online to read the blogs of those I follow, I'm always excited to see what has been posted, and what's happening in their lives. I have already lost one blogger friend, and it's just been a year and a half. I'm glad you are sticking with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. People have a right to stop blogging but when they do I wish they'd sign off so we don't worry they've dropped dead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know that other bloggers have enriched my life and it is always a sadness when one seems to disappear. Unfortunately, I am at an age where far too many of the people in my life (virtual or real) are facing health issues or other life crises. I am sorry for your loss, for the world's loss of a talent.
    (but I am thankful the good-bye was not you saying you were ending your blog)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry. And, I too worry when someone disappears.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree. Several bloggers became personal friends, and I truly miss them. Two of them put me in charge of their blogs. It was terrible to close down those worlds and friends, and I saved their words to my HD. Seeing their files always hits me hard still. Rain said it well.

    I miss one blogger a lot, but she is still alive. She came home from a vacation, posted her traveling images, then wrote no more. Now, much later, she and I have begun a fleeting correspondence. I miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry for your loss. I too have lost blogging and other online friends to illness and it aches deeply.

    I'm one of those guilty of kind of disappearing without much word.. at least on my blog. I think what happens is that we don't intend to be absent for so long.. things happen and then before you know it, it's like we've vanished. Anyway, I'm still alive and kicking.. or nudging.. or something.

    I'm sorry you've lost a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tabor,

    These housing hierarchy must have come from the British. The very senior civil servants stayed in class one. My Dad was mid senior , he stayed in class 2.etc

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was afraid that YOU were leaving!

    ReplyDelete
  16. No two bloggers are alike,it seems. This reminds me to check to see whether a favorite blogger of mine who has been silent might be blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a sad ending to a friendship, but at least you got to know what happened to her.
    I too am relieved that it was not your goodbye we were reading.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.