Thursday, August 20, 2015

Thursday 13: Things I Learned or Re-learned This Summer


  1. While listening to a discussion about voting on the radio my 10-year-old grandson said he knew about the poling tax history and voting tests to keep voters from voting.  As I quizzed him, he apparently did!
  2. While discussing the problems with the popcorn popper at our dilapidated movie theater the gal behind the counter told me they only make 4 cents on each  ticket.  Across the bridge is a brand new theater and I wonder how this will impact them further.
  3. We got 4.5 inches of rain one week and it brought down our dead tree that has been the osprey lookout since we moved here and it snapped a devil's walking stick bush and I slept through it all.  I am not the light sleeper I thought I was.
  4. My visiting friends are getting old, like me, and I realized I do not have an elder friendly bathroom all the way up a 15 step stairway to the guest bedroom!
  5. I actually am looking forward to the slow and lonely days of winter when I can concentrate on creative projects and reading more fully each precious novel and book of poetry.
  6. Nothing is a better age gauge in your life than your grandchildren.
  7. I am beginning to see how my conservative friends fear social programs as there are cheaters out there who work the system, and now I just need to help them see how the first class welfare cheaters cheat us so much more.
  8. I have decided you can get tired of eating eggplant.
  9. I am reading three e-books as a time, and if they are all non-fiction, and on three different types of e-readers, I can keep them separate in my mind.
  10. They say getting old ain't for sissies.  It is not for anyone except sadomasochists.
  11. I have sometimes hated having to get out of bed early on a Saturday to harvest produce for the food pantry.  The dear volunteer that shows up faithfully each Saturday to help us maintain the children's garden told me her 65-year-old husband has Alzheimer's.  This gardening is her break on early Saturday mornings.
  12. I am almost 70 and still sometimes feel envious or insecure with situations.  I guess we never really grow up.
  13. I am also still stupid brave enough to say 'yes' when I could have/should have said 'no.'

14 comments:

  1. They were all good, but you saved the best for last. Brave or stupid, we should continue to say yes, however, common sense should always be considered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lots of good stuff here. but re the welfare, yes there are some cheaters but there are also people who cheat on income taxes as well as every system that can be scammed. it is not a reason to cut back assistance especially when the defense department has lost something like 8 trillion dollars, money that they can't account for. there is a meme out there that shows where your taxes go if you make $50,000. less than $40 goes to food assistance and $4000 goes to corporate subsidies, corporations who are making record profits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen makes a good point.
    But mainly I wanted to ask...just how much eggplant have you consumed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recently, I've been bemoaning the age of my computer more than my own. I had a laptop, Windows 7, which has served me faithfully since 2010. When it began to fail, I realized how much I depend on the Internet for my news, communication, inspiration, etc. I was forced to switch to the laptop (after it was upgraded to 10), which we bought last winter with the idea it'd be my replacement when 7 failed but I kept hoping it wouldn't fail-- wishful thinking as along came Microsoft updates and ugh.

    I had my years of saying yes when I should have said no. Now, I don't feel guilty for no and when I say yes, it's because I want to :).

    We have eaten zero eggplant this year but boy have we had the cucumbers and green beans... I've never seen so many cucumbers which my husband has taken on as his job to make spicy dill pickles :). Our rural store needs to have a basket out front or maybe table to let people give away their excess produce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent list, perhaps you need to learn to say no to eggplant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just love this. Perhaps I should write a rebuttal or an agreement:
    1. Gotta take Grumpy to the dealer as both doors now shut their occupants inside. He didn't mention taking it in until he couldn't get out.

    2. No to eggplant tho I have a killer of a meatball, eggplant, cheese and sauce recipe.

    3. The only thing I am upgrading are my doorhandle-inner-workings.

    4. Our local theater is now a tourist junque shop on one side of the Point and a bookstore on the other. I seem to only read used books these days. My carefully chosen and unused Nook sits behind me.

    5. You delight me and can come use my guest bath any old day. Two steps up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having just spent a couple of days with my disabled sister in law, I have a new respect for those who are in a wheel chair or walking with a walker or canes. She said she sometimes feels invisible when people tend to walk past her without acknowledging her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good things to keep in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not a big fan of eggplant, unless it's fried up and sprinkled with things not good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No eggplant here either, but plenty of zucchini!
    I really like your list. It supplies both laughter and food for thought. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love eggplant
    and miss my garden produce
    of years in the past. Do have 2 tomato plants and enough for me to eat :)
    I was still saying yes to most when I was your age
    but not now and you will know when you have to say "no"
    You have a wonderful and busy life.
    Continue to enjoy but remember to take care of yourself.
    I use to think this was selfish and did not
    then I crashed a few times.
    At my age hoping I have gained widdom :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was once told that all theatres make their $ from the snack bar, but it must be critical for this one of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, you are great and an inspiration. I have found that I cannot afford to be indolent. Bummer, as I would be very happy lying around the house like Garfield.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When we stop learning something new each day we should become concerned I'm convinced. At your young age you're still learning much and at my older age, I am, too, fortunately.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.