Friday, September 11, 2015

The Rest of the Story

Hooper Straight Lighthouse prism, Maryland -- Let there be light!
I neglected to add the postscript to the story of the young woman who has entered my life. When I went to her wedding in early summer I had the opportunity to meet her parents who came in from out-of-state. Her father is ex-military and I honestly forget what he did in between before his retirement. He was a short, stocky, healthy looking man with gray hair and a well-trimmed professorial beard. Her mother was attractive but did look a little timid at times as if she wondered how she ended up at this wedding with a deer in the headlights look. The older sister was a very different type of person from my young friend. I cannot explain, but she was the exact opposite in looks, style and personality that one would have expected. In retrospect both the sister and mother looked very intimidated by the whole evening rather than the joy one would have expected. I did talk to the mother briefly and she expressed surprise that her determined daughter had decided to marry. (As an aside, the groom is a very Westernized Chinese American man from Hong Kong.)

The ceremony was performed by a Chinese-American pastor. It was a small wedding with about 60-70 guests. There was the traditional father-daughter dance which looked lovely.

Then a few months later I learned the following:

She had asked her parents to stay with her at the new home over the wedding weekend. They instead brought up a trailer and stayed in a campground outside the city. When I asked why they did this, she explained she did not actually know, but she was pretty sure it had to do with the fact that her father carries a concealed weapon and that is not allowed in the city. I guess he felt safe enough to stow it during the ceremony, but not staying with your daughter and/or supporting her because you needed to have your weapon is something I cannot get my mind around.

When I had the young woman down for the weekend a few months after the wedding, I asked how her parents were doing. She said she thought they were OK, but her father had unfriended her on Facebook because of her liberal ideas and so she wasn't sure what was going on with them. I read her posts and they are hardly radical or in-your-face. She was very calm about this statement, but I cannot imagine how painful this is for her. Being rejected by your parents publicly is harsh.

My step-nephew unfriended me (most likely because of my liberal posts) but I am fine with that, as he is not an essential part of my life. I still like him, but it seems we cannot agree to disagree.  I would only unfriend someone if they were nasty in their posts to me. Their political agenda is their own.

"I was fond of Pop, in a way.  He had been terribly generous financially, but we did not connect spiritually and had become quite detached.  He never said much about my years of cookery-work, our book, or my appearances on radio and television.  He felt that I had rejected his way of life, and him, and he was hurt by that.  He was bitterly disappointed that I didn't marry a decent, red-blooded Republican businessman, and felt my life choices were downright villainous.  From my perspective, I did not reject him until the point when I could no longer be honest about my opinions and innermost thoughts with him, especially when it came to politics.  As I looked back on it, I think that break---my "divorce" from my father---began with our move to Paris."  Julia Child, My Life in France.


15 comments:

  1. As time has gone by
    there is so much I do not understand about families.
    Much used to bother me to a point that kept me upset.
    Now
    I just try and release but difficult.
    Issues with my father never were addressed
    but I was the one he was calling for on his deathbed.
    My stepdaughter from age 4 until 18 has divorced me.
    The answer to this is she can only handle her dad (my ex) as he has so many issues.
    My youngest daughter
    who rarely saw her father and I raised no contact alone and now it seems she is his main caregiver - because he lives not far from her.
    This is an issue that is difficult for me.
    But my Jamie is so good, she states he is my father
    and I just try to go with that...
    See, I have been so free to share on your blog--but never on mine:)
    as all of family read and would not like me sharing these personal things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been at a party where someone asked what political party I generally voted for, and just turned on her heels when I did not respond to her liking...but turn on family for that, hard to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Families in this country right now are very divided. It's sad, but it's reality for many people. With the Civil War running on PBS, it's a reminder of how bitter such divisions can end up. I hope it won't be that way for our country, but the idea that the militia group came to make sure the Kentucky clerk didn't get thrown back in jail-- the blacks and whites who want a war within over racial disparity with each seeing their side as the abused-- a standoff in Nevada when the rancher didn't want to pay to have his cattle on government land and the militia again showed up ready to fire on the government if they tried to take his cattle-- and more, makes me wonder if we aren't perilously close to it. To add to the rancor, we have media, on both sides, stirring it all up for their ratings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to avoid politics whenever possible because people believe what they need to believe and aren't likely to change their minds, especially in an age where facts don't seem to matter anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't quite divorced my brother, but I think he is about there with me. I have not unfriended him on Facebook, but I did hide his posts. They are just so mean spirited. He apparently thinks I/m awful for being a non-believer and a liberal. Oh well, we can still act in a civil manner at family functions.
    Stephen, above, is right about facts not mattering any more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so sad. Heartbreaking really. But it will all change when and if they have grandchildren. I've seen that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my little corner of the world, 40+ friendships are lost because of politics and religion. Heartbreaking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's sad and quite ridiculous for people to put such stock in the righteousness of their opinions.

    I have unfriended two people on FB lately for fatuous Christian posts. I have other Christian friends whom I appreciate much, so it was the tenor of their posts, and my reaction to them that caused me to unfriend. But they were nowhere near family and people whom I sometimes wondered how they were on my list to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's shaping up to be a rough year with families and friends. I removed a nephew's ireful remarks from my fb page (over a political issue which is also a faith issue for him) and received a hat-full of rage from him later. I was shocked. There have been some tenuous attempts at reconnection but some core issues of civilized discourse on both sides have been violated not to mention how distant our views of how the world could to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not understand why some parents are so disappointed in their children that they cut off all contact. Children are not mini-mes, they are individuals with their own lives to lead. cutting them out of your life because you don't like their life choices or because they didn't follow in your foot steps or because they don't share your political or religious views...well, I just don't understand that. one of my nieces wants to study something her parents don't approve of and so they have told her that they will only pay for her college if she studies what they think she should. I hear other parents say similar things about what their children are doing, disappointed in them because they didn't _________ (fill in the blank) regardless of how happy and satisfied their kids may be with their lives. isn't the job of parents to raise children that are strong and independent and in charge of their lives, raising them to be functional adults? I do not understand parents that seem to think that they should determine their children's futures. my father-in-law cut his first born out of his life (and all of us by association) because he did not approve of our daughter getting pregnant out of wedlock. never mind that 19 years later they are still together raising their family without the benefit of a formally recognized marriage. two months before he died, after refusing his son for 16 years, when his health was so bad he could no longer communicate, he indicated he wanted to see my husband who did go to visit (I did not) but it was too late. My FIL couldn't speak or be understood when he tried. I suppose my husband got some sort of closure but he does not think his father regretted disowning him. He thought the sun rose and set on his other two sons though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kids and i disagree on things, and i don't unfriend them. It's something i don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've unfriended a family member-by-marriage for her troubling remarks and have considered ending my association with FB for the divisions I encounter there. Like you, the news takes my energy away and replaces it with impotent anger and disgust - not a good way to start the day so I've ceased listening to the voices go on and on. I read the headlines once a week to make sure the world hasn't blown up and I try to keep myself informed about the world goings-on but I can't invest all and every day in problems people seem bent on magnifying instead of solving. See, I'm not brave, either...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've only unfriended a couple of friends who had extremely bitter, vitriolic conservative posts, most of which were hate inspired tirades against President Obama.

    I can't imagine how horrible it must be to have your parents pretty much disown you like that. They sound very small minded. Too sad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A slice of life that sounds stranger than fiction. I feel sad especially because on of my sons is estranged from his father.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice quote. I had to unfriend the father of one of my grandson. The father refuses to see the son...and they do look alike. But the father is a gun fanatic and his son is gay. I just want to openly love that grandson.

    I wish your young woman friend well.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.