Thursday, October 08, 2015

I May Never Grow Up



I met a young man years ago through my Son-in-law.  He is a handsome New Jersey Italian, friendly, nice, from a deeply Catholic family and was at a cross roads in his life.  My SIL and others felt he might be gay as he was very good looking and never dating anyone.  He was a twin and his brother had long since married and started a family. We years later heard he was dating a playboy model.  I had (be)friended him on FB and he never revealed any beautiful women with selfies or that part of his life.  This young man had worked for a high end consulting company, lived at home and saved his high salary while he was looking for a passion and then in recent years has morphed into a foodie.  I followed him on FB and watched as he evolved into finding himself and worked with various chefs in the city where he lived.  He slowly became involved in promoting interesting foods and farm to table type events.

I cannot remember how it came about years ago, but he was invited by me down for a weekend and ended up coming with another young newly divorced man who also seemed to be at a cross-roads in his life and who was also part of my SIL's work life.  My SIL seemed a little miffed at our new relationship with "his" friends, but that is another story that I may blog about someday.  We took these young men boating, fed them, they stayed overnight and then they went on their way home.  I did not feel we made a "connection" with either.  They seemed your typical self-involved types who do not realize what happens around them.

I sometimes post a "foodie" photo about what I am cooking...remember the stuffed pepper casserole that ended up on the  floor(?)...the photo above was before it went into the oven, and I write about what we are having for dinner on FB.  I am pretty good at making what I cook sound delicious.  Well my foodie guy is intrigued and now wants to come down for a another visit and maybe side by side cook effort!  I know that many of  my readers would be so ready for this fun team effort with a "young'in."who actually has real connections in the food world.

But I am just a bit terrified as I do not see myself as a great or even good cook!  I see myself as an old lady cook who gets easily distracted and can burn stuff.

It looks like this may happen and I am going to screw my courage to the sticking place if it does and figure it out.  I will let you know.....  Yep, this blogger is an enormous timid mouse type.  If you read my entries you do know this, and I do agree that it is pathetic.

17 comments:

  1. "Old Lady" cooks are the best. You'll teach him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am abysmal, but on my good days I can follow a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure you don't want to open a restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I strongly recommend that you give it a try. I think it could be a fascinating experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you are not a timid mouse. LOL Did your SIL recover. I love the pictures of what ever you are cooking. Bravo. I used to cook for masses. Sometimes it was good too. I kind of miss it. Your stuff always looks really good. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the snapshot... it's making me hungry!

    Get a sexy apron, lol, and make some chili ;-)

    Re: ALASKA: send me your email address (daniel.lafranceATgmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! You sound like my kind of cook--not what I aspire to be but the distracted with tendency to burn things does fit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think he sounds interested in your creativity in cooking. Having fun with it and open to options. Sounds like a winning combination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just be honest and describe your cooking self to him just the way you did to us. Then if you really are as bad as you seem to think (which I very much doubt) no one will be unpleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds to me like this guy thinks he can learn from you. And I'm sure he can. I say Do It and see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure you have a lot to teach this fellow. Just make what you like and your enthusiasm will see you through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cook by feel, and enjoy it. It's the only way, and i'm sure you can both have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that as we grow older and cook less, we lose our confidence.. Have a fun time with your foodie, serve plenty of fine wine and if things don't work out well, laugh a lot and blame it on vino. Give him more though so he will remember it as a really wonderful evening with a great older dame.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my
    this looks like a picture in a magazine.
    I have a green, red and yellow pepper
    may duplicate :)
    I think of you as young
    and me old....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with joeh. You probably have knowledge stored up from years of cooking that you take for granted, and that will seem like rocket science to him.

    Your story of him at the beginning was really interesting.
    Can't wait to hear about how it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a terrible cook and would never post what I'm making for dinner (salad?). Your stuffed peppers look yum. When your guest comes to cook, I would say the more simple the better - if he's a real farm to table person, he'll be in sync with that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You probably made more of an impression on this person than you realized. Your kitchen looks lovely, and that casserole dish with its colorful ingredients is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.