Friday, January 08, 2016

It Is Late

It is a little after 1:00 in the morning.  Hubby's snoring pulled me from the light  sleep I had fallen into.  I poked him to roll over and he immediately but quietly fell back into  the  deep sleep of the innocent.  I  had to pee.  When I got to bed and tried once again to fall into sleep the clang of the geese on the river started up.  The weather is now cold, into  the 20's F at night and thus our Canadian visitors have begun to arrive with their rude middle of the night noises.

My neighbors across the river insist on using bright lights at their  dock and shore.  The lights are like little moons and crisply reflect on the smooth black surface of the water and somewhat blind me to everything else.  These are the kind of lights that they ask you to turn off in southern beaches when turtles are nesting as they compete with the directions given by the real moon.

I admit defeat in falling back asleep and get up and make some decaffeinated Earl Gray tea.  I am careful to bring the water  to just boiling and steep the bag just enough and am rewarded by that perfect cup of tea.   I sip the hot liquid and try to read the David Baldacci book with the tiny print.  I am spoiled by the font size I can create on my electronic reading devices, and now that I have tried to read the many physical books in tilting piles around the house, I remember why I have almost given these up.  The font is most certainly 10 point and Baldacci always write over 400 pages of this stuff.

The Friday tomorrow has a small list of few tasks and that does not worry my brain.  I do hear in the back of  my mind the drum beats of volunteer season starting up again shortly.  Soon there will be lists to make, tasks to organize and marks on the calendar.  I do so love the dead of winter when everyone seems to be in hibernation and leaves me alone.

The house is quiet except for the heater that kicks on and the click of the metal on the fireplace still cooling from the fire in it a few hours ago.  We have lots of wood in the outside pile since winter just started and the propane tank was just filled last week.  Hubby still loves to split wood and I am glad his health allows this.  The fires are perfect for taking  the edge off once the sun sets in the evenings.

Well,  I should read some blogs if I am not reading my book.  So I will leave you until another day.


15 comments:

  1. Odd ... I have been sleeping well up until last night. I did get a few hours in my recliner, though. You used your sleeplessness better than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the happy recipient of your sleeplessness in this post, Tabor. It's lovely and I felt I was there with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every few hours I would cough then pee. Endlessly awful. I didn't use my extra time usefully at all. I kept trying to go back to sleep. Now I have done all the blog stuff I am going to do. If you want me, I will be napping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tea sounds nice. I just get up and read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to increase the font size to read comfortably.

    When the geese come the noise always reminded me of a rioting crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything on the cell phone is too small for me, and enlarging it just sends it off the screen. So I try to avoid Facebook and Solitaire in the evening, as it dries out my eyes. So sorry to have interrupted sleep. Frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read only electronically now. I'm allergic to formaldehyde which is in both paper and ink. Since i'm an avid reader, I give thanks for the Kindle! I need absolute darkness to sleep - I don't like any ambient light. The house across the street is on VRBO rental and often every light in the house is blazing. Perhaps people are frightened of the darkness since we have no streetlights. Thank goodness, I've been mostly sleeping well. I stay up as long as possible reading and then hope for a good night's sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 10 font should be done away with. I would also ban shiny pages in magazines and clocks that move too slowly in the night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's interesting, as one ages, the thoughts in those dark, quiet hours. The wondering, the what if, ect. I entertain them a lot now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That all sounds delightful to me except for the fact you couldn't get back to sleep. You made the most of your awake time anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you had an interesting visit from the "midnight editor". Happens to me on occasion, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I often get up in the middle of the night for a few hours. I have a neighbor across the stree and down one who insists on leaving a spotlight by the front door and another by the garage door on all night. she didn't when she first moved here and I haven't heard of any attempted breakins in the neighborhood so I don't know why she is doing that. I hate it. I want it to be dark at night so I can see the stars. I don't understand why she doesn't just put motion detectors on her lights.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought of you a lot in the last few days as I coughed and didn't sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have rarely suffered any affliction that keeps me awake at night. My ability to sleep is quite impressive I'm told. I do feel so sorry for anyone who isn't the same. I don't know how you keep calm and sane! I've taken your advise and had my computer set up so I can stand and type. Much better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I miss that winter holiday slowdown, living here. Now I have the house to myself for a week and am glorying in the peace and quiet and the chance to work on my projects. I have heaps of work to do for the League of Women Voters, but mostly I enjoy it.
    We do have to stay in the world, although it seems strenuous at times!
    Best to you in this New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.