Monday, May 09, 2016

Grayness Is My Mantle




Another day of sprinkling rain today, coolish, but not unpleasant.  I wanted to be outside planting on my deck with the pots for summer color.  I have to transplant some seedlings of cosmos and Sweet William to the flower beds.  I still have to divide day lilies.   I got one sunny day yesterday and killed myself with weeding, planting and then rewarding myself for a Mother's Day treat to the local Antique Fair being held at the nearby garden/museum.  A perfect, sunny, warm day it was.

I am not a big antique shopper but do have a love of Art Deco vases.  I never find any, but I still look.  I found two lovely misty ink-blue vases about 6 inches high with a smooth glaze over a very subtle pattern and I wanted to buy them.  The vendor told me that they had been reduced in price since this was the second day of the sale.  They were reduced from $275 each to $175 each.  There is just no way I can justify spending that much money on something I could so easily break!  I decided on the two for $12 turquoise vases I had found in an earlier booth...but they either sold or we could not find the right tent among the almost 50 vendors because I went home only with some homemade bath salts.  Then as another Mother's Day reward, I took a bubble bath.

I got a quick call from my daughter (which I missed) to send good wishes for the day.  Nothing from my son.  He is that way and we will never change him.  He does what he wants when he wants.  He still says he loves me, but refuses to follow any suggestions from society about behavior or being gentle with people.  I do love him in spite of the challenges. 

AND that day was the ONLY sunny day we have had in days and days and I took that as my perfect Mother's Day gift!  The next few days this week are going to also be a challenge as far as weather goes.

17 comments:

  1. Tabor, Jamie and family with me, other daughter said she did not feel well, son and other daughter not near.
    Was a good day but did not feel well and first time Jamie did everything and even loaded the dishwasher :)
    Much I do not share as family read my sharing, they are all different and usually I receive comments :)
    So enough said, envy your garden work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all very busy and tend to consolidate our celebrations. We try not to make others feel lonely or guilty.
    Anyway, you got me looking up art deco. It's kind of an overlooked style, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great graden work! We hardly have a bud here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guilty of missing birthdays and special days as well. I'd say it is a guy thing but that is no excuse, still my kids know I love them even if I forget to send a card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was indeed a wonderful Mother's Day weather gift to you. Sons are often like that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah, difficult sons. I have one too though he always calls me on my birthday and mother's day. the child was difficult from the day he was born. refused to do homework but would ace all the classwork and tests. and like yours, he doesn't do anything he doesn't want to do, not for love or money or kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear your son isn't good at expressing his love and gratitude, but I'm glad the weather cooperated on Mother's Day to give you a sunny holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well thank god for sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sunshine when the days have been gray is one of the greatest gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're really getting your gardens on order, I see. People have been flocking to the nurseries already, but it's too soon here. Our bird bath was covered with ice this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand about uncommunicative sons and the itch to get out and plant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had company for a week leading up to Mother's Day then company coming for a week or more now. I was glad to have Mother's Day to rest and recuperate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I spent the day with my grandsons and called it Happy Mother's Day: Phase 2 in which Doris Gets Her Oats. I got a card and a phone call, pretty low key. My favorite way to relax is thrift shop hunting, mostly for clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, that was the perfect day. I too missed a call from a daughter tho the other one and I talked on and off all day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. At least you weren't in the twister zone this week! Glad your Mom'ds Day was ok - mine was too, even tho I had to work, just hearing from the kids is great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you had that sunny day to enjoy for Mother's Day. My daughter is always one to recognize Mother's Day. My son... not so much. He does text and sometimes call, but he does things his own way and always has. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  17. How can you manage to make inclement weather look so beautiful?

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.