Thursday, May 26, 2016

My Arbor Today

Maybe some of you will remember when I wrote about the tiny arbor we purchased from a local hardware store years ago.  It is a fragile and small structure that only one person could really sit on at a time.  I am allergic to stain, so it has not been painted in all these years, and if I remember, I will nag hubby to do that this fall.

I used to have a "Lincoln" rose that I was trying to get to climb up the arbor and finally transplanted it and bought another rose that the landscape lady told me was very popular.  I am not sure she heard me say I wanted a climber, because this also bushes out at the bottom like the others!

It has many spring blossoms, a lovely perfume and no thorns!  No wonder it is popular.  I will see how resistant it is to black spot, aphids, yellow leaf and all the other things that attack my roses in these woods.  (I fail on the organic garden end with my roses, but it cannot be helped with those Prima Donnas.)


Not shown in the photo above is a little blue bird house on the opposite end.  We have about ten bird houses (ceramic and wood) scattered across the property and no one seems to have taken us up on the free rent!  But the little house on the arbor has some tiny and noisy chickadees being fed by some rather harried parents.  Last year most of the bird houses had tenants.  Maybe as the year progresses...




(I would really like to save some money and install a larger arbor in this part of the yard with even more plants growing over the top.  We currently have a garage slab problem that is going to eat up any liquid funds, so that will be another day.)

23 comments:

  1. Such a pretty arbor. You did a great job with it.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had bluebird houses that were occupied each year until our neighbors' cat killed one of the females. It was so sad to see the male sitting on the roof of the house for days. We never had bluebirds after that. Swallow took over. I drove past the old house the other day and no bird houses were in evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are not at rose time yet! enjoy those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your little birdie pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The arbor with the roses is wonderful... and love the baby bird pic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know how I feel about your yard. Marvelous stuff. Slab problems...I so understand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rose is beautiful and love the arbor the aging look is beautiful.
    I miss having them.
    It is damp shady and roses do not do well by the woods
    and seems everything that can attack them does
    and always the the insect that trips them of leaves later in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A pretty place, even if the roses aren't exactly the kind you wanted. Hope you get more birds in your birdhouses soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. From that photo, your rose and arbor look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we had that pretty pink thornless rose, but alas, it didn't like it's location on our arch, and it succumbed to rose disease. Yours looks happy and healthy.
    We have bird houses scattered here and there, too, and the little church in the rose bed housed a chickadee family, which I think fledged while we were gone for two days. Another house had Bewick's wrens. They seem to have flown away too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful rose! Thornless, womderful. The roses at my old house like to grab your clothes and hang on when you got near them. :-) The nests around our condo complex seem to all be empty this year. Wonder if it has anything to do with a population boom in the squirrel community.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've given up on bird houses and bird feeders. I feel guilty when I attract the birds and it makes them an easy target for the cursed feral cats which I simply cannot eliminate no matter how I try. One of the draw backs of living in the wilds, I guess. I just love your photo of the hungry baby! And the arbor and rose are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That's such a beautiful rose plant. I love that it has a scent and.... NO THORNS? That's totally amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely roses -- without thorns is appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A neighbor dropped by this week and wanted to give me a couple of his gorgeous handmade bird houses. I had to decline because I have cats. Boo Hoo... I need the cats in the barn to get rid of vermin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The arbor looks lovely. I am usually very lucky with plants but when it comes to roses, I am a complete failure.. This year I will be digging out three Knockout Rose plants that committed suicide this winter. These were supposed to be fool-proof, but not in my gardens. I stick to hyacinth bean plants and and tropicals to climb my arbor, but I sure would love a rose like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love to watch the mamas feed their babies-- better than any tv show

    ReplyDelete
  18. it's a pretty rose. roses are too high maintenance for me though my dad grew them. I do have some, the knockouts that were here when we bought the place. and I bought a cinco de mayo which I put in a pot temporarily and it has survived so far.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Arbors are awesome. I yearn (slightly) for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry I haven't been visiting your blog as much lately. It is lovely to come back and see your superb photographs and take on life.
    Every Blessing from Dalamory. www.freda.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. There are many wood duck boxes near my daughters, always interesting to watch the babies.
    Your arbor is nice. I have poor luck with roses, and people keep giving them to me...

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a pretty pink against that arbor. I like the unstained wood, but I know wood doesn't wear as fast if it's stained. Looks like you have some charming little tenants.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah, The birds are back / checking out the real estate / a high-rise nest / on my porch rafter / A one room shelter / inaccessible to cats / with southern exposure / and a landing deck

    I hope the black snakes won't get mine this year!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.