Thursday, July 14, 2016

A Little About Those Cities

Since some of you asked  (well you actually DID), we spent a few days in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada before boarding our ship for the inland passage cruise and few days in Anchorage, Alaska, USA after leaving our ship.  Vancouver is expensive if you want to eat at any nice restaurants or stay downtown, and since I come from the rural woods, we went with expensive.  The city is nestled against the back of of high mountains.  It is a temperate rain forest climate and rained most of the time we were there, unfortunately.  Weather was a tiny bit chilly as well.  Note the traffic sign below shows a bicycle path! (You have to click on the photo, perhaps.)




We got a "great" (see below) view from our expensive hotel...not expensive enough I guess for a real city view.



But we were only walking distance (in the rain) from our hotel to many restaurants...most with higher price tags.  There also were several reasonably priced places.  Thai food (hubby's favorite) is EVERYWHERE.


Anchorage, smaller in population, sophistication and expenses is a very simple square city to drive around.  Although there are just enough streets that dead end or are one way that make you be sure you have a map.


Just in case you forget that at least 8 months of the year it is hard to do anything outside in Alaska the sign above reminds you.


 Clearly Anchorage survives on tourism with at least two if not three cruise ships coming in each week and an endless supply of planes.

Gwennie's is a popular place for breakfast and has been just outside of town for decades.  Certainly a colorful place that lets you know you are in Alaska.  HUGE breakfasts, so be prepared.


And everyone has a story and something to sell.  The man on the far left is a film photographer and I paid $20 for a handful of nice photos as he was such a delightful "codger" it was money well spent.  We bought the other gentleman's book about dog sledding.  He was involved and raced in the very first Iditarod.  I have not had time to read his book!


And just outside the city and down by the river we discovered that the salmon were running!

18 comments:

  1. We're looking into an Alaska cruise next year. I don't mind expensive as long as it is not a surprise...I have to brace myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely vacation and such different cities. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have difficulty paying a lot for food, but I always pony up for interesting excursions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Vancouver but my favorite is Victoria. Your photos make me want to be there. Vancouver and Victoria each have some really good museums.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful area, but please don't make Sweetie fall in love with the area, he will want to move there and drag me and i will die of the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vancouver is a great city. If I had to live in a city in Canada, I old want it to be Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Rain above, I like Victoria much more than Vancouver, though the market under the bridge, Granville Island, is great.

    I lived in Anchorage years and years ago, back in the pipeline days when it was very different than today. Even back then, in the early 70's, it was said that the great thing about Anchorage was that you could drive to Alaska from there....

    cheers,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  8. We live an hour south of Vancouver and when we first moved here, we visited occasionally. Now there's nothing to see that we care to spend that much money for. We're happy here in Bellingham. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still wear a hat I bought at the market under the bridge in Vancouver on my last night in Canada. So glad I decided to part with my last Canadian dollars to buys it. Like Rain and Anvilcloud I preferred Victoria but then I spent more time there as that is where my daughter lived. That trout stream is beautiful! Thanks for the visit to Anchorage, a Bucket List place for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heading for Vancouver and the Folk Music Festival . As usual we will stay with our cousins there. Wish we weren't waking up to the dreadful news in France.

    ReplyDelete
  11. never been to either place thoug my sister and I want to take one of those cruises to see the glaciers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you found the free food aboard your Holland-America ship as good as the expensive stuff. We loved the gardens up there, and the Alaska Ferry System boats are entertaining. We do have to go back to meet a Great Grandson. How did you get to travel off your ship. I thought you had to go all the way up and back before getting off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE just booked for one way and told them ahead of time. Hubby made the reservations so not sure if we paid extra for that or not?? Actually many were getting off the ship and either going off on their own or taking a HOlland train cruise.

      Delete
    2. Thanks...I will tell George.

      Delete
  13. Two great cities. Living in a tiny town I am always thrilled with the cosmopolitan makeup of Vancouver. When we visited Anchorage one September that fisherman laden stream was filled with young bears fishing. I really liked visiting there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoying your trip account and photos. Have friends, now deceased, who drove the Alaskan Hwy many years ago which was quite a rugged adventure. I would enjoy that smaller cruise ship as have never been attracted to the big ones. Sounds like an interesting trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos, always interesting to see a place through another's eyes.
    There are quite a few from around here that go to Alaska to fish every summer. But, they drive or fly up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorite is the photo of the three smiling entrepreneurs, two of them dressed in the standard uniform of baseball cap, tee-shirt, and lumberjack shirt.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.