Sunday, July 10, 2016

It is always about the people

We did meet people on the Holland cruise, but I first want to write a bit about the people we met when we were on our own.

Many of our wait staff were local but there was a large group from countries like Serbia and Moldova.  These were lovely, exotic, young women certainly hoping to get ahead when the poverty and war in their own country was so difficult.  I learned from one gal that Moldova is the poorest country in the area and they are struggling to be accepted into NATO.  One of our Presidential candidates would give that a big thumbs down and the other would see it as a way to make lemonade.  If you don't get what I just wrote, I am too upset over NATO to explain just now.

We took a very long (all day) Denali road trip by bus with the park service.  Our driver looked like "most white folks" favorite grandma.  She managed that bus like a professional over some very steep climbs and hairpin turns while still keeping up a very good patter about the woods, its animals and even the culture of Alaskans and how they dealt with summer.




And she had to be her own window-washer!  I am sure they do not pay her nearly enough.

Our other guide was a sweet child from Florida who had been a park ranger only 4 or 5 years.  She said she had found her home in Alaska at long last.  Now all she needs to do is find her Prince Charming.  She was good on the plants, admitted her weakness on the birds and took us to a homesteader's cabin that was now an historic part of the park.  (The man on the right was from Pakistan or India and certainly from the Brahman class.  He managed to spoil almost all of my shots from the bus as he was destined to be the only one who wanted to get shots of the animals and thus most of us got shots of the back of his head!)


We learned (as if we didn't already know) that these miners, hunters, trappers and homesteaders were a rough, strong, and determined class of people, although not usually able to complete a sentence without swearing.  Alaska is deceitful in all it beauty, because a wild animal, a landslide, or a lengthy cold spell can mean death to any man or woman.


The nails in the sign above are the Ranger's attempt at keeping the bears from rubbing the signs into oblivion when they scratch their backs.  The sign below was where the road through the wilderness came to an end.


AND we are so small for all the destruction we cause which has nothing to do with signs.




17 comments:

  1. I don't even want to find out what NATO did that caused you such consternation. I'm sure I will find out, but not right now. Your pictures instead really are beautiful, and I laughed at the nails in the sign and the reason for them. Sending you big hugs. Thanks so much for the fantastic shots. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for letting me go along with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Alaska, thanks for the photos, sorry about your photo bomber!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every party has a pooper and that's why the photo bomber was invited. LOL Love the tales of your travel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would think that a bear could get a good scratch from that sign.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If i weren't so extremely sensitive to the cold, i might want to move to Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the visit to Alaska. I hope there is more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Photographer boors are not uncommon or so I hear although my experiences are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. never been to Alaska though my sister and I plan to go before all the glaciers melt. it is beautiful when it's not covered in snow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such stunning scenery. I got a chuckle about thinking how the bears must be delighted to think backscratchers are being installed for their ease and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been to Alaska but have yet to explore the area in your post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so enjoying taking this trip with you. I didn't know you could get off a cruise and go somewhere else. Delightful. Holland-America, and it's called by both names, is my favorite line. All but the food. They did have some great lecturers on the trips we took. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you're back.
    Mage: I'm a Holland America fan, too. I think they do their best with the food. The constant motion of the ship cuts my appetite, though. Whenever we got off the boat I would be ravenous! I'll never forget the meat pie I had in Hobart, Tasmania!
    We've done Bermuda, the Caribbean, Australia and New Zealand and Alaska, so far.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you on the NATO shamefulness. Wish I could be more ostrich-like, sometimes. Just not made that way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was confused as to whether you were in Holland or Alaska, until the scenic photos and the girl from Florida arrived. Holland and Alaska seem like such an unlikely pair for travel. Time to debrief and disengage (in reference to your comment on my blog)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. awesome story n pics! I'll be back

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm catching up on your trip posts. I love the landscape pics in this one!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.