Sunday, August 14, 2016

The Perfectionist Life

My husband has a cousin that we visited a few months ago. She is charming, sweet, cute, talented, smart and creative. She is in the second year of her widowhood and still missing the man who was her best friend. We thought a visit might help her.


While the few days we spent as her guest overlooking the Pacific Ocean and sharing good conversation, good wine, and total agreement on politics were divine, I realized her husband was a saint as I could never live with her.


Whenever she has company she puts out a 2ft by 2ft sticky mat at the front door for guests to stamp on before entry.  This is used whether you are wearing shoes, socks or are barefoot from the pool across the driveway...!  Her home is spotless and she has had the same housekeeper for years.

She has the loveliest guest bathroom. (Please ignore the lack of balance by my toiletry bag hanging on the towel bar.)


Take note that you DO NOT use the towels hanging on the towel bars and wrapped in sashes.  There is a basket on the floor with towels you are supposed to use!


Her home is filled with nostalgic art and a few priceless antiques.  Everything is in its place.  If you move the candles on the table a few inches to fit your wine glass, at the end of the day they get moved back to the exact same place for excellent balance and symmetry.  Even the books are angled in a special way.  She doesn't scold or hint, she just straightens quietly when it is time to leave the room.


And may I point out she is a very snappy dresser for a widow in her 80's!  It is no surprise that the new priest took her under his wing for a year until he was reassigned back to his other Parish.  You cannot help but love her as she is full of good humor and charm, but, I repeat, I could never live with her.  Her husband, God rest his soul, was a saint.

30 comments:

  1. I confess that the upstairs bathroom towels are arranged here too. You can certainly use them tho. LOL
    You know, keeping her house exact may be the only thing she can control. If you want a mess, you can come down the coast a bit and visit me next time.
    Nice bird in the dying tree, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has a beautiful home. I too couldn't live that way, but if it works for her - hey, that's great. It was really nice of you'all to visit. I'll bet she enjoyed it (despite your toiletry bag disrupting the balance).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each to his/her own! Her home is magazine-worthy. Unfortunately, my own home is significantly out of balance most of the time. Love your photos - what app did you use?

    ReplyDelete

  4. It takes all kinds, from slobs to ultra perfectionists. But both would fray my nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds lovely though perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, glad she's not visiting my home ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. He probably learned to ignore it long ago. She sounds a little OCD but who am I to say? Maybe she takes pleasure in it. When my daughter when was a teenager she had a friend in whose house you weren't allowed to touch the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the artsy photographs. I'd have a hard time living in this strict environment also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've tried to be restrictive like that in my past, but always get overruled by my family until I give up. And I've decided their personal touches of disorder just remind me that they are here, and I prefer that to a sterile, picture-perfect house. Up to a point, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's got to be a middle ground. She wants perfection, i want lived in, and my kids don't mind lived-in-by-a-tornado. Where's that cozy middle?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a lovely person with perhaps a touch of OCD. The towels reminded me of a story about my wife's mom http://joeh-crankyoldman.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-good-towels.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I doubt if I've survive more than a few days in that beautiful environment. I couldn't live with that sort of orderliness, either. Glad you enjoyed your visit though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She sounds like my kind of a house keeper! But you could use any of my towels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too much either way - as Anvilcloud said - wouldn't suit me but she sounds a lovely woman.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This person would run screaming out of my house knowing she would be stricken with cooties. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. And oh yes I absolutely love you altered photos. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your photos that you've made into paintings. And thank you for introducing me to this lovely woman who, as you point out, is good to know as a friend and not as a long-time companion! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Old school OCD, I had some similar relatives as a child and thought it was rather strange.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. People from South East Asia are used to go bare footed. When they migrated to European countries, they put a sign, please take off shoes. I laughed at the door mat. My land lady has one for my house.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. As a an antidote to this you should have come and stayed with us for a few days. I never apologize for the disarray that surrounds me, and I tell myself it makes people feel at home! :-)
    You didn't happen to be in Oregon, did you??? Cuz, you know...you really could have come over.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Her late husband was probably the same kind of person!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the photography art. Is the snappy dresser in red?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the top photo,yes. IN the bottom she is the well-dressed cowgirl in white.

      Delete
  24. Haha! Sounds like she may have a bit of OCD. It would be difficult to live with that.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Tabor! This was just too funny! I know people like that and you're right - one would have to be a saint - but more importantly, you found a way to say all of that with love and not sounding critical. You always have brightened my days and thank you for brightening my night. xoxo Shirliana

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Tabor! This was just too funny! I know people like that and you're right - one would have to be a saint - but more importantly, you found a way to say all of that with love and not sounding critical. You always have brightened my days and thank you for brightening my night. xoxo Shirliana

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOL, it is nice to know you are not so inclined. I'm a clean & orderly, but not even close to a perfectionist. Now my brother and his family are all perfectionists, serious perfectionists! When my brother travels out here he brings his camper, as motel rooms are too dirty to contemplate. Then there is the no shoes rule in his house, or in the camper... I think it is a need to have total control over ones surroundings, not the way I would want to live, but it works for others.

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love what you did with the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.