Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Finally Feeling the Groove


The primary problem with my PC was that I had plugged the HDMI (monitor) into the wrong HDMI port. The one I was supposed to use was way down at the bottom of the back hidden under a tiny ledge. Since the PC did not come with any graphics or icons, this was an honest mistake. Still it cost me money to have a nice man, retired from the Air Force, come fix the plug-in. He was also able to install drivers for my scanner and newest printer. When looking for drivers for the Canon printer, a few years old, he found that Canon said it was NOT updating any drivers for any of its hardware for Windows 10!! Therefore I once again have an obsolete printer, as well as one unopened packet of printer ink! The printer was free to me, but the ink was very expensive. I only used it to print photos, which was rare. You get better quality product from the professionals in the Internet.  At least my wireless printer works!


I am only writing this to hope that others will not be surprised when their digital baby dies unexpectedly.  I was told that this solid-state should last much longer...of course, time will tell.



As you can see it already has fingerprints all over the impractical shiny top part.  It also has red racing stripes that glow dim and then brighten like a sport car revving up for a race around the track.  It could have been designed by Steve Jobs, who you may remember was more about form than function.

It runs very quietly with no rattle of a fan.  It has multiple intakes for air.  It also seems to process a tiny bit faster, but since I am not playing a high graphics game on this machine, I really am not testing its full potential.


I had learned from my earlier crash to gather all the software license numbers, disks, serial numbers and whatever was needed to bring the opening screen back to something I recognized. I am embarrassed to say I could not find how to open the DVD driver for many minutes. I could find all the info on it and the place...but the only eject button W10 seems to use is under the File Explorer's icon! Yes, it makes sense if you think about it.

Well, enough boring information that most likely means nothing to both computer wizards and all the rest of the world.  So, I will leave you with a photo from my new gallery that I just loaded on this baby.  These guys are here regularly certain times of the day.


13 comments:

  1. I love cardinals. We only have them at the Tucson house and never that many as we are in an ironwood area where I think they aren't as fond for their trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worth the trouble. I love the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's worth every bit of trouble. G wants to know if it is Windows 10 Professional or Home. I like to know all that stuff about your new computer. Someday I will get one too. Bravo for entering the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many red birds make me happy! Joe got me a new PC, which we haven't set up yet and I dread it. It's Windows 10 and will likely not support my printer. With a car, all I want to do is turn the key, not know how to fix it. With a computer, all I want to do is type!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!! Glad you got that ironed out. Yep I never want win 10. One program on off the net machine cost me $500 n there's no driver for it. OK I will keep it separate. Yep, the menu crap hidden everywhere drives me crazy. Every time I tell the kids I do not want to keep learning new gizmos they buy me one n I have too... Then just when used to it, they upgrade again. Not my idea of easy stuff to figure out! Best of luck getting back to easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for warning me about my blog, sadly I went to settings and altered things, then of course the blog became 'unsecured', cured that switching off/on, so hopefully I am back to normal. Love the photo of the cardinals and glad to see your computer working.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is not boring it is frightening. I do not understand all this HMDI, etc. I tried adding Windows 10 but had to delete it because I lost everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all a bunch of acronyms. Your late husband would understand that language easily as he was in the military where they only speak in acronyms.

      Delete
    2. You are right about that:-)

      Delete
  8. So glad you are up and working again. The clairity of the picture is wonderful. Perhaps that's due to your new graphics card. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have or want 10 but within a year or so likely they'll stop providing updates for my 7 as I didn't want 8 either. Maybe I'll switch to Apple cause my computers ancient now. What a gathering of cardinals! Never see any here in So Cal -- northeastern Los Angeles County. Loved to feed them in the winter in midwest Great Lakes area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love cardinals, and yours are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just switched my Internet from copper wire to FiberOptics and suddenly certain things are just not working. Arrrghhh... Sometimes technology totally throws me for a loop. Hmmm... not sometimes, lots of times.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.