Sunday, April 30, 2017

Walking is Good For Your Health

It seems official that I have become a weekly marcher. The benefits are tremendous: I get to hang out with like-minded strangers that smile at me and nod;  I have conversations with people who actually are knowledgeable about chemistry, history, poetry, immigration and how government works (and it DOES work); I am getting some well-needed exercise; and I get to walk by some of the most beautiful architecture in the world. 




While I think this new museum has too large a footprint it is amazing in style.
I worked on the inside of the Federal government for decades and while there were "pencil pushers," braggarts, lazy folks and political appointees who were there because they were related to some Congressperson, 90-95% of the workers were people with training and expertise in their field, a vision to make things better, and no interest in making a fortune off the backs of others.  A little naive, maybe, but honest, certainly.

We met up with the Union of Concerned Pissed-off Scientists to get some signs before heading out.


No, they are not all that young.

The Park Police were in all their glory waiting the impending storm.  They are terrific workers in that almost every Saturday these days there is some protest march going on!

Last week I was involved in the March for Science.  I got to see Bill Nye the Science guy; Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha, Pediatrician, Michigan State University who was the Doctor that discovered her young patients had high lead levels in Flint, Michigan; Mari Copeny, aka Little Miss Flint, who at 10 while overwhelmed by the crowd read her speech with great aplomb; Leland Melvin, astronaut and S.T.E.A.M. Explorer, and a bunch of other beautiful geniuses and leaders.   We also were entertained by the Jon Baptiste House band while waiting in the cold and pouring rain for free!  What a dedicated bunch of nerds!

We were a little far from the stage but certainly close to one of the Jumbotrons.




This weekend it was the March for Climate Change, which included a larger and more diverse group of people and a larger march.  We got together for breakfast with my Sister-in-Law from Colorado and her family and friends here in D.C. and made some signs at their hotel.  Some were affiliated with the Fair trade USA Group  and so we went to the Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream sponsored float since he had donated money to their cause.  He was there being interviewed by network television, but we missed that.




We then left our posse as they took the kids out of the heat and we marched with the indigenous peoples group that had some very cool dancing and the best drums (even in the 90 degree heat - climate diversity anyone?) as well as several ceremonial "smudge pot breaks" in the middle of the street.




Gotta love free speech!  There was only handful of of anti-science protesters and absolutely no violence or arguing.  We had received our "marching order" to focus on our mission and avoid dissension and that worked just fine.  It was like a 1960's  meet-up without the pot because that is illegal in D.C.  So what did you do last Saturday?


16 comments:

  1. Wow. Delightful, and delighted that you and the others have done that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. I cheer you on. And who ever would be against science.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tabor -- Your dedication to our issues here in the US is commendable. My soul goes out to you and every participant. We are a strong country and we will wade through the politicians that are trying to undo our life under the constitution. I'm not blogging -- need to get my head on straight before I pick up where I left off on Folkways Notebook. barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful to be able to peacefully participate in free speech, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing as exciting as you've been doing, Tabor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought D.C. Legalized pot? Great pics and such a worthy cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually you are correct but not on Federal property. I should have clarified that!

      Delete
  7. I was on the march for science here in Bellingham but missed the climate one this week. Good for you! And yes it's good for you to get out with like minded people and have fun. Great post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe in free speech and think it is great you could march without dissenters attacking you for your ideals. That does not always happen these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kudos to you. Keep the activism going.

    ReplyDelete
  10. in this day I wish I lived close to DC so that I could participate. living out here in the country in a very red county not much protesting is going on. I make phone calls instead. good for you and thank you for carrying on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you! With you in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you, I am actually quite proud of America for kicking ass in the face of the 'idiot' president, wish we would do more here, though protest marches do happen in London, a very right-wing biased BBC doesn't report them. Well in answer to the question, joined the Green Party, knowing full well I am throwing my vote away. Got in touch with local fracking group, the whole area around us is freed up for licencing to frack!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, great that you have time for these! Good for you- Oh n neat buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you, and if I were closer and able to march, I would be marching with you.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.