Monday, November 06, 2017

A Late Harvest of Gold

Late September and much of November are harvest times here at my house. Hubby has planted several persimmon trees outside. They are slow to ripen and, if you know anything about persimmons, the Hachaya type is astringent to eat if you do not wait until it is soft as jelly on the inside. We grow both the Hachiya and the Fuju which can be eaten before it gets soft. It is the round one that can be eaten over a longer time frame.  Early it is more like an apple and then it ripens to a juicy pear.  Its Latin name means "wheat of Zeus" or "God's pear" and "Jove's fire".



I like that I have ripe Kaffir limes and Meyer lemons to add to the recipes.

When hubby is here he makes persimmon freezer jam and persimmon bread. Since he is not here that task has fallen to me. Trying to get the accurate recipe, particularly for the jams, is hard because the persimmon has to be scooped out into measuring devices before you can find out exactly how much pulp you have for the recipe. It cannot be left out in the air for too long as it turns cloudy and brown.


The Hichiya is hard to pick because the ripeness makes the fruit as soft as a globe of jelly.  Touching the fruit for this softness as well as noticing the translucence in the fruit are the clues for picking.  But you have to hold it like a soft-shelled egg.


There is another problem in identifying those persimmons that are only half ripe and hoping that they can be used in a few days.



Then there is the basket of those that were harvested by mistake or fell that must sit in my kitchen and give those fruit flies their best days while waiting for ripening.  (It is hard to have a glass of wine in the evening without having a fruit fly go up my nose!)

I followed a persimmon freezer jam recipe exactly the other day and made three containers of freezer jam.  Unfortunately, they did not set!!  This is the problem with this fruit.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.  We will use it on toast anyway.  It is also good with vanilla ice cream.  And because it is not cooked it maintains its flavor and vitamins.  According to one website "Persimmons are low in calories and fats - they provide 70 calories per 100 grams. This fiber-rich fruit is an excellent source of Vitamin A and good source of Vitamin C and contains a range of antioxidants and minerals. But as with most fruit, you should eat these in moderation because it contains fructose, which can be harmful in excess amounts."



The flavor?  Maybe someone else can explain, but it is sweet and delicious and one of my favorite jams.

17 comments:

  1. I love the flavor of persimmons, but it's been a long time since I've had a fresh one. Your post reminded me of the taste. I wish I had one of those plastic containers of the jam! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw some persimmons the other day, but i did not buy any, and i need to. They are so good when they are good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have eaten the fruit but never the jam. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only persimmons I've eaten were in the form of cookies, big meaty cookies, my aunt used to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no experience with persimmons. I should see if I can find some in a market. They don't grow here, as far as I know anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds exotic to me. Well it is exotic by definition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is amazing how a fruit that tastes bad can go to delicious. I can only remember picking a persimmon and getting the dreaded pucker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont believe I have ever tasted, or even touched, a persimmon. A hole in my life experience, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tasted one
    and your bread and jam
    can I be envious
    I need to bake
    think of it daily
    and you just inspired me onward
    on this
    another rainy day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. a friend had a persimmon tree and she gave me some once. I ate them with ice cream. next door there are two native persimmon trees with small fruit. when my neighbor was alive he would pick up all the ones that had fallen on the ground and give them to me all squooshy and covered with dirt. He was very old. I just thanked him and when he wasn't looking would put them on the compost pile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And the breads look wonderful too.
    You never cease to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I've ever had one. I wonder if they grow here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds a difficult job. I love persimmons but they have to be jelly ripe for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that I've never tried that fruit, I find about the persimmons.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty fruit! I've never had any... You are lucky to get produce this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Saved them all. Keeping your really beautiful pictures is important. Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  17. What kind of bread did you bake? It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.