Friday, November 03, 2017

The Silence of the Limes

I wrote in an earlier post that I am alone until the 22nd of November.  Hubby is on the other side of the earth.  Those of you who are divorced, separated, unwed or suffered the loss of your partner may have gone through the first of the transition of living alone a long time ago.  My life partner is not a quiet soul.  He fills the house when he is here.  Even if he is down in the basement in his office I can hear his voice on the phone through the heat register in my bedroom.  While he always looks for reasons to "run errands" he is here much of the time.

Now the big house is really quiet.  No pets and a quarter mile from neighbors on either side.  I cannot get good radio reception unless I carry a laptop from room to room, so I keep TV on in the background in the mornings.  I don't really watch it.  In the afternoon I play music, although my cable company has majorly destroyed my amplifier/speaker setup and it takes me some time to figure it out each time!

Anyway, late in the evening when all noises are off and I am finally in my warm pajamas and reading by the light from my end table I find myself listening carefully.  Do I hear a scratching in the ceiling over my head?  Have the mice moved in again?  I strain to hear the Canadian geese down on the river, but it is just a lone Mallard because the geese have not yet returned.  Eventually, I fall asleep.  Out of the blackness of the night, I am jerked awake but not sure why.  I hold my breath and listen.  I freeze as I tune into anything that makes noise.  I can even hear the creaking of the refrigerator in the kitchen, but nothing else sounds out of place and I fall back asleep.  The next night I have the same event, only this time while I am straining to find out what is wrong I hear a loud thunk.  It comes from the kitchen and I at first wonder if a thief is making a midnight snack.

I throw back the quilt and without a weapon in hand (ever the optimist) I head into the kitchen.  I turn on all the lights.  I scan.  No one is there.  No animal is hiding in a corner or behind a door.  Then I see the cause of the sound on the floor.  Thre are two of them, small and round and each the size of a golf ball.  They are surprisingly heavy for there diminutive size.  They are kaffir limes.  They have ripened and are falling from the tree at will.  I soon will have 40 of them!





Kaffir limes are knobby and odd and small.  They have a very interesting and almost floral fragrance to compliment their strong lime taste.  The leaves from the tree are used in Thai cooking as the flavor holds up to strong spicy dishes.

I have three citrus trees (a small citrus orchard) that get moved into the house every fall and returned to the deck each spring; a Calamondon, a Meyer lemon, and a Kaffir lime. (The Meyer is struggling as it was severely damaged when purchased, but it is hell bent to catch up to the other two.  It has eleven lemons and almost as many leaves.)



I have been told it is not a true lemon, but I have no idea what that means.  These lemons are bigger than store bought and will indeed make a much louder thud when they fall in the middle of the night.  (By the way, both of these always fall in the middle of the night!)

20 comments:

  1. Funny how harmless sounds amplify in our imagination at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's strange to be alone when we're accustomed to having someone else in the house. It takes a lot of bravery.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am alone a lot during the day because my husband has outside farm work. I like silence in the house and am lucky I don't have a roommate who wants music or the TV. When I spend time in Tucson or when he's gone on a business trip, I am not fond of it. The Tucson time was good for me since we had married young and I hadn't had much independent time before that. It's different when I have to go check what is wrong-- especially if it's outside. I though have a handgun and it gives me confidence to check-- and i have to check out a noise to know. Like you, I can't just go to sleep and not know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Several years ago my husband was home with his dying father. During those weeks I was alone, i had that same experience in the evenings. I discovered an app for sleep and it helped me sleep through the night. If I woke and turned it on again, it put me right to sleep again. I hope you find something that works for you. Picking the limes might help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why i sleep to the sound of a fan in the room. On the rare occasion when i am alone at night, it keeps me from "hearing things".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you may think me shallow but this is exciting stuff. Thanks for taking us on this night journey to lemon paradise. Lime pie. Lime on Tacos...Meyer lemon marinade on anything. What a wonderful thunk to hear....what aa wonderful essay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be an number of things...shallow definitely NOT. thanks.

      Delete
  7. My friend has a meyer lemon tree in her yard. it is big and full and produces hundreds of lemons. I'm rarely alone in the house, usually just a week in February, but I have a very barky dog and a baseball bat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not alone at night often, but when I am, my ears are attuned to noises too. Never had a ker thunk lemon or lime though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it quiet and if my Callie does not bark all is well. Also motion lights come on but it is usually a turkey, some small animal or the wind blowing the flag hanging on a tree. Growing up always fearful but when I found myself alone in unfamiliar
    area with a 4 year old, I became brave one not wanting her to be afraid of the dark and sounds. My ears notice any unfamiliar
    sound. Now that 4 year old is a 44 year old writer in the big city :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent title!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. You set the scene very well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such a good writer. I enjoyed the whole story and am glad it was just the limes. I'd be scared, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this! I would love to have a meyer lemon tree but all kinds of plants are difficult for me since I need a plant sitter when I switch homes. Someday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous3:31 PM

    Beautiful citrus trees. Looks like Baltimore's Inner Harbor on the other post! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You caught me. Have you been there?

      Delete
    2. Anonymous4:27 PM

      Hi. Yes I've lived in Delaware for most of my life and we'd take our kids down to the Inner Harbor. Andrea

      Delete
  15. A lovely story telling episode, being scared can of course be a thrill allowing the imagination to run riot, the limes of course tells us that all things are living.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are brave! I was expecting raccoons, not limes. My husband has a big presence too. I only lock our doors when he's away.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.